[comp.dcom.telecom] National Telephone Services, Inc.

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (02/28/90)

I vaguely recall seeing NTS (National Telephone Services Inc.) listed
with respect to some COCOTs, but I also vaguely recall NTS being
listed as the default long-distance carrier on some pay phones
maintained by the former "baby Bell" companies. Anyone know about it?

levin@bbn.com (Joel B. Levin) (03/02/90)

>From: Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil>

>I vaguely recall seeing NTS (National Telephone Services Inc.) listed
>with respect to some COCOTs, but I also vaguely recall NTS being
>listed as the default long-distance carrier on some pay phones
>maintained by the former "baby Bell" companies. Anyone know about it?

When I was "down Maine" (in Kennebunkport) last summer I played with
the phones.  We had a nearby N.E.Tel payphone which had two default LD
carriers listed: AT&T for 1+ calls and someone else ("First
Telecommunications" maybe?) for 0+ calls.  I noticed this after I
tried a call and got a funny "thank you for using" after the Bong and
the N.E.Tel card number.  I went ahead and placed a call.

The bill came in with some name at the top of the page (different from
what the card on the phone said, though probably there's a mother /
daughter company relationship in there somewhere).  It could have been
NTS on the bill.  There was no logo (as is provided for Sprint, MCI,
or AT&T).  The charge was reasonable.

As I say, this was a real N.E.Telco phone.  10XXX worked properly, too.

	/JBL

jrallen@rutgers.edu (Jon Allen) (03/02/90)

In article <4533@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

>with respect to some COCOTs, but I also vaguely recall NTS being
>listed as the default long-distance carrier on some pay phones
>maintained by the former "baby Bell" companies. Anyone know about it?

Yup, I used several pay phones in Iowa during Christmas and one of the
companies was NTS - National Telephone Services.  They were the
default carrier on many phones in Iowa, I wasn't able to reach AT&T
from them, and the call was pretty pricey.

Jon
att!acpy01!jrallen