[comp.dcom.telecom] 10xxx/950-xxxx Mapping?

hokey@plus5.com (Hokey) (03/01/90)

I've seen lists of the various 10xxx long distance companies.

I occasionally end up at a telephone which says I can use either 10xxx
or 950-xxxx to get to alternative carriers.  If a 10xxx call fails or
is blocked, I'd like to try a 950-xxxx instead, but I have not seen a
list of 950-xxxx long-distance companies, nor have I seen a "mapping
algorithm".

So, is there an easy mapping between the two?

If not, how can I find out the 950-xxxx numbers for various
long-distance companies?

pdg@chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Guthrie) (03/02/90)

In article <4535@accuvax.nwu.edu> hokey@plus5.com (Hokey) writes:

>So, is there an easy mapping between the two? (10xxx and 950xxxx)
>If not, how can I find out the 950-xxxx numbers for various
>long-distance companies?

The CIC (Carrier Identification Codes) are the last three digits in
both 10XXX and 950-{0,1}XXX.  Each carrier got to chose if they wanted
a 0 or a 1 preceding their CIC for feature group B (or 950) access.
The list for this comes as a file with Bellcore's V&H tape. (It lists
each CIC and whether 0 or 1 is used for FGBs).  So, if you have the
list from the archives for 10xxx's, you have the list for 950s, but it
may take you two calls (if you guess wrong first) to get there.  One
additional point that should be made is that not all carriers support
FGB anymore..... it is quite inefficient.

Paul Guthrie
chinet!nsacray!paul or pdg@balr.com or attmail!balr!pdg

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) (03/02/90)

In article <4535@accuvax.nwu.edu>, hokey@plus5.com (Hokey) writes:

> I've seen lists of the various 10xxx long distance companies.

> I occasionally end up at a telephone which says I can use either 10xxx
> or 950-xxxx to get to alternative carriers.  If a 10xxx call fails or
> is blocked, I'd like to try a 950-xxxx instead, but I have not seen a
> list of 950-xxxx long-distance companies, nor have I seen a "mapping
> algorithm".

> So, is there an easy mapping between the two?

Yep.  Consider the XXX in 10XXX to be the Carrier Access Code.  The
appropriate number to call using the 950- format is 950-0/1XXX.  (Or
for those of you who prefer a more comp sci-ish syntax, 950-[0|1]XXX.)

Either 0 or 1 as the first digit of the "extension" should work.

Of course, 950-0/1XXX doesn't always work for all carriers, just as
10XXX doesn't always work for all phones.  But I'm not going to get
into the complexities of feature group B and feature group D and so on
here...

David G Lewis					...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej
	(@ Bellcore Navesink Research & Engineering Center)
			"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."