[comp.dcom.telecom] Groveton/Alexandria, Virginia

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 20-Feb-1990 1455) (02/21/90)

   From:  Greg Monti
   Dt:  14 February 1990
   Re:  Groveton/Alexandria, Virginia

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil>  writes:

> 765 is an Alexandria exchange in the
> Groveton area, which is the next exchange down U.S. 1 and the Potomac
> River from old-town Alexandria.

By my reckoning there is a CO in between Old Town and 765: Burgundy
Road, which is about 2 blocks south of the Alexandria City line (i.e.,
I-95) and 1 block west of US-1. Place Name for Burgundy Road may be
"Groveton."  Burgundy Road prefixes are (703) 329, 960.  It's a pretty
large building for only 2 prefixes.  Perhaps more have been added
since I last updated my list.

> Fort Belvoir and Mount Vernon have
> since split off from the Groveton exchange, and a new exchange area,
> south of the now-reduced Groveton exchange area, was set up.  I know
> that 360 and 780 serve the Mount Vernon area, with some 781
> (Engleside, the next exchange to the south, and which is toll to Md.)
> mixed in; 664 is at Fort Belvoir, and I don't know what is on the pay
> phones at Fort Belvoir.

My list shows Mount Vernon prefixes are (703) 355, 360, 660, 765, 768,
780, 799.  All are Metro prefixes in Alexandria-Arlington Rate Area.

Fort Belvoir's central phone system is (703) 664, which is a metro
prefix, apparently foreign-exchange-hacked since Fort Belvoir is
outside the met.  Phones not on Fort Belvoir switchboard and in the
tiny town of Accotink, which is completely surrounded by the fort, are
in (703) 781 which is part of the Engleside Rate Area which is outside
the metro.  I don't know which CO serves 781.  It could be Mount
Vernon (yes, the same CO can serve two Rate Areas) or Fort Belvoir
(assuming it has a CO).

Greg Monti, Arlington, Virginia; work +1 202 822-2633

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (03/03/90)

[Moderator's Note: Carl shares parts of a letter to John Covert.  PT]

According to 1987 zipcode directory, Burgundy Road is in zip code
22303, also used for Jefferson Manor Branch (in Fairfax County) of the
Alexandria P.O.

Are you saying that 329 and 960 occur only in that Burgundy Road
building?  (If so, you might lump it in with the surrounding area as I
noted with Crystal City/Columbia Pike area further north, in
Arlington.)  Yes, it is possible in my travels that I might miss
making note of an exchange hitting a major road.  Consider this recent
case elsewhere in 703: 825 is in the town of Culpeper 547 is also a
Culpeper exchange, apparently serving Leon, which is a little inside
Madison County (this is heading toward Charlottesville on U.S. 29)

948 is in the town of Madison, further down U.S. 29 and then I
recently stopped in Brightwood, which is between Leon and Madison (see
above).  I already knew the Brightwood P.O. was on the 543 exchange,
but when I was in Brightwood just now, I found a pay phone on 543.

(825 and 547 are listed as Culpeper; 543 and 948 are listed as
Madison.)