[comp.dcom.telecom] Alternate Long Distance Carriers

SKASS@drew.bitnet (No gas will be sold to anyone in a glass container.) (03/03/90)

Information on long distance carriers

        A while back, I offered to collect information on long
distance carriers: rates, area of service, quality, billing, 950-xxxx
access, etc.  and post a summary here.  Here is what I found out:

 |                                                                          |
 |                                                                          |
 |                                                                          |
 |                                                                          |
 |                                                                          |

        That's right: nothing.  I, and surely other Telecom Digest
readers, are still interested in information about the scores of
carriers besides the big three, AT&T, Sprint and MCI.  We've seen
lists of access codes, and I'm sure some of you out there know more
about these companies.  The offer is still open.  If you have any
information about alternate carrier, let me know, and I'll post a
summary.  Maybe the bottom line is that no one but sleazy hotels and
COCOT owners has any use for them.  What do you know?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: Steve Kass                                "An amount in this box means   ::
:: Department of Math & Computer Science      the fishing boat operator     ::
:: Drew University                            considers you self-employed." ::
:: Madison, NJ  07940            /\/                         -IRS Form 1099 ::
::                                                           :::::::::::::::::
:: skass@drew.bitnet         201-408-3614 (work, voice mail) ::
:: skass@drew.edu            201-514-1187 (home) ::::::::::::::
:: rutgers!njin!drew!skass ::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (03/04/90)

"No gas will be sold to anyone in a glass container." <SKASS@drew.bitnet>
writes:

>         A while back, I offered to collect information on long
> distance carriers: rates, area of service, quality, billing, 950-xxxx
> access, etc.  and post a summary here.  Here is what I found out:
>         That's right: nothing.

Information such as you describe changes hourly. Any "comprehensive"
listing of LD carriers would be obsolete before it hit Patrick's hands
for publication, let alone before it was distributed.

I have actually been in the middle of writing a post flaming some LD
company or another, reached for the phone just to do a last-minute
confirmation of my annoyance, and presto-chango the problem was gone.
It it might have been something that had been going on for months, but
at the last minute my expose had to be dumped in the bit bucket.

This particularly applies to rates. I've personally given up trying to
keep a handle on who charges what for which. LD prices definately
belong on the commodity sheets along with gold, silver, and soybeans.

All of the majors are constantly upgrading, so trying to define
service level or connection quality is hopeless. And on and on. I'm
sorry to throw cold water on your admirable project, but its useful
lifespan would make the whole exercise less than practical. It is for
this reason that I no longer entertain LD salestypes. Since all the
carriers seesaw up and down against each other, it is rather
meaningless to listen to a pitch that is exploiting the rate
difference between carriers that will in reality have a three day
window.

Where would you start to do a comprehensive listing of all carriers
available in every metropolitan area? How far down the list do you
want to go? Top ten? Top twenty? Top fifty markets?

I'm not trying to be mean, but which info would you like? Yesterday's,
today's, or the applied-for rates to go into effect next week?

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !