[comp.dcom.telecom] Exclusion Modules

kevin@gatech.edu (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (03/01/90)

In a recent article, Tad Cook posted a description of exclusion
modules.  These devices allow multiple phones to use the same line,
but not at the same time (i.e. when one is off-hook, the other gets an
open circuit).

What I want is the reverse (inverse?) of this. Assume that I have two
single-line phone lines coming into my house.  I want to have one
single-line phone answer calls on both lines.  When one line is in
use, the other line should be busied-out.

I do NOT want a service from the phone company that sends two lines
over one line.  I do NOT want a "ring-no-answer" on one line when the
other is in use.

(The actual problem is more involved than the above, but it can be
reduced to the above.)

Any info in this area would be appreciated.

Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

kaplanr@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Robert Kaplan) (03/02/90)

We got a second line installed here a month ago.  Line 1 now runs to
the answering machine/phone, which also serves as the dedicated ringer
for that line.  Line 2 goes to the modem and to a phone with a
nonworking tone pad, which serves only as a ringer for line 2.  We
also took apart a cheapie Radio Shack phone, ran line 1 on the inside
pair and line 2 on the outside pair to it, and then ran each line
through a DPDT switch to the phone chassis itself.

Results: 1) Distinctive ring for each line.  2) Can answer either line
on the cheapie phone.  3) Cost under $10 [you know, the impoverished
college student bit ... of course we could have bought a real 2 line
phone for $50 ... but this way is more fun].

Disadvantages: You still have to think about which line is ringing and
answer the right one ... it won't do it automatically.  Ditto for
calling out.

[And of course turning both lines on at the cheapie phone yields
pseudo-conference-call ... albeit down 6dB at each end ... but loads
cheaper than paying Brandeis Telecommunications thru the nose ... :-)]

This probably doesn't answer the original question, which seems much
more complex.  I've never heard of a setup like that...

Scott Fybush
Disclaimer: If Brandeis Telecommunications asks...I have no phone.

kgdykes@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ken Dykes) (03/02/90)

In article <4530@accuvax.nwu.edu> msa3b!kevin@gatech.edu (Kevin P.
Kleinfelter) writes:

>single-line phone lines coming into my house.  I want to have one
>single-line phone answer calls on both lines.  When one line is in
>use, the other line should be busied-out.

>I do NOT want a service from the phone company that sends two lines
>over one line.  I do NOT want a "ring-no-answer" on one line when the
>other is in use.

Perhaps what I did may be of use or the seed of an idea:

  When I got my 2nd line (mostly for modem) I was too cheap to fork
out $$$$ for a real 2-line phone, I saw something in Radio Shack:

  "Make one answering machine answer two lines"

Well, I reason, ans-machines are mechanical phone users, or phone users
are bioligical answer-machines... so I bought one, and put my single line
phone where the machine would go.

The device detects which line has a ring signal on it, and internaly
switches to that line.  The switch stays on the "last line used" until
the other line ever rings, so your outgoing calls are stuck to the
line you last answered (unless you have a bypass, or plug-unplug
motivation).

My 2nd line is also unlisted and only about 4 of my closest friends
know the number -- ie: I tend to ignore my listed line if I dont feel
like being social.  So, I have this problem of not knowing which one
is REALLY ringing...

I used one of those outboard "warehouse" ringers on my 2nd line too,
can't miss calls on that one now!! (You could simply plug in another
phone(s) in various combinations on your two lines and get unique
ringing sounds, assuming your phones are old fasioned enough to allow
(re)wiring to whichever line you want them on).

[I already owned the outboard ringer from years ago, even a real
two-line phone has the problem of not knowing which one is ringing
without looking at the flashing light -- perhaps there are models with
distinctive ringing but not common.]

The device lists in the RS catalog for about cdn$29.95 cdn-part# 43-383.

Hummm, looking at the catalog, I see another outboard toy:

"Hold/status Box" - "allows you to place a call on hold, LED indicator"

               cdn$14.95 part#43-8002

Oh yes, another trick I did when I got the 2nd line (and owned a cheap
sealed phone I couldn't rewire easily) was buy one of those RJ-14(?)
female-female adapter plugs, carefully separated the plastic halves,
carefully removed the pins on one half and reinserted them with the
logical lines reversed, *poof* instant line 1/2 adapter for cheap
phones and modems that can't be wired directly!  (I couldn't do this
with normal male-female cord because those modular ends are TOO sealed
up, the female-female device had a natural seam to it).

   - Ken Dykes, Software Development Group, UofWaterloo, Canada [43.47N 80.52W]
          kgdykes@watmath.waterloo.edu  [129.97.128.1]
          kgdykes@waterloo.csnet      kgdykes@water.bitnet     watmath!kgdykes
          postmaster@watbun.waterloo.edu           B8 s+ f+ w t e m r

dattier@chinet.chi.il.us (David Tamkin) (03/04/90)

Ken Dykes wrote in TELECOM Digest, Volume 10, Issue 135:

| Oh yes, another trick I did when I got the 2nd line (and owned a cheap
| sealed phone I couldn't rewire easily) was buy one of those RJ-14(?)
| female-female adapter plugs, carefully separated the plastic halves,
| carefully removed the pins on one half and reinserted them with the
| logical lines reversed, *poof* instant line 1/2 adapter for cheap
| phones and modems that can't be wired directly!

Radio Shack (and perhaps other places) sell an already-wired adapter.
It has a single modular plug and three jacks: one jack carries the
inner pair, one carries the outer pair from the wall jack to its own
inner pair, and the third jack carries through both pairs from the
wall.  One can plug two single-line devices into the first two jacks
to have one use each line.

Yes, they are a little more expensive than the in-line coupler that
Ken Dykes modified, but they don't need all the rewiring work.

David Tamkin  PO Box 813  Rosemont IL 60018-0813  708-518-6769  312-693-0591
dattier@chinet.chi.il.us    BIX: dattier  GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN  CIS: 73720,1570