From: andrew yeomans <cel!ajy@relay.eu.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 15:31:56 GMT
Subject: London Area Codes Table

According to a British Telecom booklet I received with my phone bill,
the previously posted list of London code splits is incorrect. Several
of the numbers marked 'unused' are in fact used (and not necessarily
in the 071/081 groups suggested). Also there are 5 Mercury exchange
codes, which are being split on a number-by-number basis! I'll leave
it as an exercise to the reader to update the shell script to cope
with these Mercury numbers.

The new list is in the shar file below. I've removed the misleading
comment implying that there is logic in the groupings (:-) . I've left
the U/V/W distinctions, though I doubt there is any significance
between them.

On a different topic, there were comments on the length of UK dialling
codes.  The 'standard' lengths are:

	01-xxx xxxx	(London - to be removed)
	0x1-xxx xxxx	(Big cities)
	0xxx-xxxxxx	(Other places)

But as an interim measure, some 'other places' have a longer area code
and shorter exchange number. However, the first 4 digits of the area
code give the code of the 'parent' exchange.

For example, my phone number is (Tring) 044282-4832, where 0442 is the
Hemel Hempstead parent exchange. In fact, from Hemel Hempstead, you
would dial 824832, i.e. the Tring number just looks like a 6 digit
Hemel number.  To get to Hemel from Tring, you have to dial '9' to
reach the parent exchange. (As an aside, this is why the UK emergency
number is 999 - from small exchanges the first 9 gets you the parent
exchange. From the parent, you often only needed to dial 99.)

Some day now, I expect my number to be 'changed' from 044282-4832 to
0442-824832. Spot the difference! Of course, people on the Tring
exchange will have to dial 6 digits then, instead of 4 digits at
present.

To add to the confusion, there are already some 6 digit Tring numbers,
all of the form 89xxxx. And their area code is 0442, i.e. different
area codes are published, depending on the number length.

In summary, you need to dial:

	From		To		Dial
	HH 234567	Tring 4832	82-4832
	HH 234567	Tring 891234	891234
	Tring 4832	HH 234567	9-234567
	Tring 891234	HH 234567	9-234567
	Tring 4832	Tring 891234	891234
	Tring 891234	Tring 4832	4832

[I hope they don't decide to change the exchange name - Tring seems a
very appropriate name for a telephone exchange.]

 Andrew Yeomans             | PSTN: 0442 230000 ext 3371
 Crosfield Electronics Ltd  | INTL: +44 442 230000
 Three Cherry Trees Lane    | Fax:  0442 232301
 Hemel Hempstead            | UUCP: ajy@cel.uucp or ajy@cel.co.uk
 Hertfordshire              | or    ...!{mcvax,ukc,uunet}!cel!ajy
 HP2 7RH                    | .. all opinions are my own, etc.
 England                    | 'Great oafs from little icons grow' S.Fry
   ---------------------------cut here--------------------------------
#! /bin/sh
# This is a shell archive.  Remove anything before this line, then unpack
# it by saving it into a file and typing "sh file".  To overwrite existing
# files, type "sh file -c".  You can also feed this as standard input via
# unshar, or by typing "sh <file", e.g..  If this archive is complete, you
# will see the following message at the end:
#		"End of shell archive."
# Contents:  LONDON
# Wrapped by ajy@sun202 on Tue Feb 27 15:01:46 1990
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb ; export PATH
if test -f 'LONDON' -a "${1}" != "-c" ; then
  echo shar: Will not clobber existing file \"'LONDON'\"
else
echo shar: Extracting \"'LONDON'\" \(6577 characters\)
sed "s/^X//" >'LONDON' <<'END_OF_FILE'
X# U=Unused exchange code, but in the 071 region of codes.
X# V=Unused exchange code, but in the 081 region of codes.
X# W=Unused exchange code.
X# M=Mercury exchange code, predominantly 071 but with some 081 codes.
X#   In case of difficulty, contact Mercury Helpline on 021-625 3010.
X#
X200 081
X201 V
X202 081
X203 081
X204 081
X205 081
X206 081
X207 081
X208 081
X209 081
X210 071
X211 U
X212 071
X213 071
X214 071
X215 071
X216 U
X217 071
X218 071
X219 071
X220 071
X221 071
X222 071
X223 071
X224 071
X225 071
X226 071
X227 071
X228 071
X229 071
X230 071
X231 071
X232 071
X233 071
X234 071
X235 071
X236 071
X237 071
X238 071
X239 071
X240 071
X241 071
X242 071
X243 071
X244 071
X245 071
X246 071
X247 071
X248 071
X249 071
X250 071
X251 071
X252 071
X253 071
X254 071
X255 071
X256 071
X257 071
X258 071
X259 071
X260 071
X261 071
X262 071
X263 071
X264 U
X265 071
X266 071
X267 071
X268 071
X269 071
X270 071
X271 071
X272 071
X273 071
X274 071
X275 071
X276 071
X277 071
X278 071
X279 071
X280 071
X281 071
X282 U
X283 071
X284 071
X285 U
X286 071
X287 071
X288 071
X289 071
X290 081
X291 081
X292 V
X293 081
X294 081
X295 081
X296 V
X297 081
X298 081
X299 081
X300 081
X301 081
X302 081
X303 081
X304 081
X305 081
X306 071
X307 081
X308 081
X309 081
X310 081
X311 081
X312 081
X313 081
X314 081
X315 071
X316 081
X317 081
X318 081
X319 081
X320 071
X321 071
X322 071
X323 071
X324 071
X325 071
X326 071
X327 071
X328 071
X329 071
X330 081
X331 071
X332 081
X333 071
X334 071
X335 081
X336 081
X337 081
X338 071
X339 081
X340 081
X341 081
X342 081
X343 081
X344 V
X345 081
X346 081
X347 081
X348 081
X349 081
X350 071
X351 071
X352 071
X353 071
X354 071
X355 071
X356 071
X357 071
X358 071
X359 071
X360 081
X361 081
X362 V
X363 081
X364 081
X365 081
X366 081
X367 081
X368 081
X369 V
X370 071
X371 071
X372 071
X373 071
X374 071
X375 071
X376 071
X377 071
X378 071
X379 071
X380 071
X381 071
X382 071
X383 071
X384 071
X385 071
X386 071
X387 071
X388 071
X389 071
X390 081
X391 081
X392 081
X393 081
X394 081
X395 081
X396 V
X397 081
X398 081
X399 081
X400 071
X401 071
X402 071
X403 071
X404 071
X405 071
X406 071
X407 071
X408 071
X409 071
X410 071
X411 071
X412 071
X413 071
X414 071
X415 071
X416 071
X417 071
X418 071
X419 081
X420 081
X421 081
X422 081
X423 081
X424 081
X425 071
X426 081
X427 081
X428 081
X429 081
X430 071
X431 071
X432 071
X433 071
X434 071
X435 071
X436 071
X437 071
X438 071
X439 071
X440 081
X441 081
X442 081
X443 081
X444 081
X445 081
X446 081
X447 081
X448 081
X449 081
X450 081
X451 081
X452 081
X453 081
X454 071
X455 081
X456 081
X457 071
X458 081
X459 081
X460 081
X461 081
X462 081
X463 081
X464 081
X465 071
X466 081
X467 081
X468 081
X469 081
X470 081
X471 081
X472 081
X473 071
X474 071
X475 081
X476 071
X477 071
X478 081
X479 081
X480 071
X481 071
X482 071
X483 071
X484 071
X485 071
X486 071
X487 071
X488 071
X489 071
X490 071
X491 071
X492 071
X493 071
X494 071
X495 071
X496 071
X497 071
X498 071
X499 071
X500 081
X501 081
X502 081
X503 081
X504 081
X505 081
X506 081
X507 081
X508 081
X509 081
X510 071
X511 071
X512 071
X513 071
X514 081
X515 071
X516 071
X517 081
X518 081
X519 081
X520 081
X521 081
X522 071
X523 081
X524 081
X525 071
X526 081
X527 081
X528 M
X529 081
X530 081
X531 081
X532 081
X533 081
X534 081
X535 081
X536 081
X537 071
X538 071
X539 081
X540 081
X541 081
X542 081
X543 081
X544 081
X545 081
X546 081
X547 081
X548 071
X549 081
X550 081
X551 081
X552 081
X553 081
X554 081
X555 081
X556 081
X557 081
X558 081
X559 081
X560 081
X561 081
X562 081
X563 081
X564 081
X565 081
X566 081
X567 081
X568 081
X569 081
X570 081
X571 081
X572 081
X573 081
X574 081
X575 081
X576 081
X577 081
X578 081
X579 081
X580 071
X581 071
X582 071
X583 071
X584 071
X585 071
X586 071
X587 071
X588 071
X589 071
X590 081
X591 081
X592 081
X593 081
X594 081
X595 081
X596 V
X597 081
X598 081
X599 081
X600 071
X601 071
X602 071
X603 071
X604 071
X605 071
X606 071
X607 071
X608 071
X609 071
X610 071
X611 071
X612 071
X613 071
X614 U
X615 071
X616 U
X617 U
X618 071
X619 071
X620 071
X621 071
X622 071
X623 071
X624 071
X625 071
X626 071
X627 071
X628 071
X629 071
X630 071
X631 071
X632 071
X633 071
X634 071
X635 071
X636 071
X637 071
X638 071
X639 071
X640 081
X641 081
X642 081
X643 081
X644 081
X645 081
X646 081
X647 081
X648 081
X649 V
X650 081
X651 081
X652 V
X653 081
X654 081
X655 081
X656 081
X657 081
X658 081
X659 081
X660 081
X661 081
X662 V
X663 081
X664 081
X665 081
X666 081
X667 081
X668 081
X669 081
X670 081
X671 081
X672 081
X673 081
X674 081
X675 081
X676 081
X677 081
X678 081
X679 081
X680 081
X681 081
X682 081
X683 081
X684 081
X685 081
X686 081
X687 081
X688 081
X689 081
X690 081
X691 081
X692 081
X693 081
X694 081
X695 081
X696 071
X697 081
X698 081
X699 081
X700 071
X701 071
X702 071
X703 071
X704 071
X705 U
X706 071
X707 071
X708 071
X709 071
X710 071
X711 071
X712 071
X713 071
X714 071
X715 071
X716 071
X717 U
X718 071
X719 071
X720 071
X721 071
X722 071
X723 071
X724 071
X725 071
X726 071
X727 071
X728 071
X729 071
X730 071
X731 071
X732 071
X733 071
X734 071
X735 071
X736 071
X737 071
X738 071
X739 071
X740 081
X741 081
X742 081
X743 081
X744 081
X745 081
X746 081
X747 081
X748 081
X749 081
X750 081
X751 081
X752 081
X753 071
X754 081
X755 081
X756 081
X757 071
X758 081
X759 081
X760 081
X761 081
X762 V
X763 081
X764 081
X765 V
X766 081
X767 081
X768 081
X769 081
X770 081
X771 081
X772 071
X773 081
X774 071
X775 071
X776 081
X777 081
X778 081
X779 071
X780 081
X781 081
X782 071
X783 081
X784 081
X785 081
X786 081
X787 081
X788 081
X789 081
X790 071
X791 071
X792 071
X793 071
X794 071
X795 071
X796 071
X797 U
X798 071
X799 071
X800 081
X801 081
X802 081
X803 081
X804 081
X805 081
X806 081
X807 081
X808 081
X809 081
X810 W
X811 081
X812 W
X813 W
X814 W
X815 W
X816 W
X817 W
X818 071
X819 071
X820 071
X821 071
X822 071
X823 071
X824 071
X825 U
X826 071
X827 U
X828 071
X829 071
X830 U
X831 071
X832 071
X833 071
X834 071
X835 071
X836 071
X837 071
X838 071
X839 071
X840 081
X841 081
X842 081
X843 081
X844 081
X845 081
X846 081
X847 081
X848 081
X849 081
X850 081
X851 081
X852 081
X853 081
X854 081
X855 081
X856 081
X857 081
X858 081
X859 081
X860 071
X861 081
X862 081
X863 081
X864 081
X865 071
X866 081
X867 071
X868 081
X869 081
X870 081
X871 081
X872 071
X873 071
X874 081
X875 081
X876 081
X877 081
X878 081
X879 081
X880 V
X881 081
X882 081
X883 081
X884 081
X885 081
X886 081
X887 V
X888 081
X889 081
X890 081
X891 081
X892 081
X893 081
X894 081
X895 M
X896 V
X897 081
X898 081
X899 081
X900 081
X901 071
X902 081
X903 081
X904 081
X905 081
X906 081
X907 081
X908 081
X909 081
X910 W
X911 071
X912 071
X913 081
X914 081
X915 071
X916 071
X917 071
X918 071
X919 W
X920 071
X921 071
X922 071
X923 071
X924 071
X925 071
X926 U
X927 071
X928 071
X929 071
X930 071
X931 071
X932 071
X933 071
X934 071
X935 071
X936 071
X937 071
X938 071
X939 071
X940 081
X941 081
X942 081
X943 081
X944 081
X945 M
X946 081
X947 081
X948 081
X949 081
X950 081
X951 081
X952 081
X953 081
X954 081
X955 071
X956 071
X957 071
X958 081
X959 081
X960 081
X961 081
X962 071
X963 081
X964 081
X965 081
X966 V
X967 081
X968 081
X969 081
X970 W
X971 071
X972 071
X973 071
X974 081
X975 M
X976 071
X977 081
X978 071
X979 081
X980 081
X981 081
X982 M
X983 081
X984 081
X985 081
X986 081
X987 071
X988 081
X989 081
X990 V
X991 081
X992 081
X993 081
X994 081
X995 081
X996 V
X997 081
X998 081
END_OF_FILE
if test 6577 -ne `wc -c <'LONDON'`; then
    echo shar: \"'LONDON'\" unpacked with wrong size!
fi
# end of 'LONDON'
fi
echo shar: End of shell archive.
exit 0

End of TELECOM Digest Special: London Area Codes