[comp.dcom.telecom] RINGMATE from New England Telephone

SOLOMON@mis.arizona.edu (03/01/90)

Some areas served by New England Telephone can now sign up for their new
RINGMATE(sm) service.

Now you can know who's calling you - or who a call is for - by the way
the phone rings!

The new RINGMATE(sm) Ring Identification Service lets you have up to
three different telephone numbers on your existing telephone line -
but each telephone number has its own distinct pattern of ringing.

If you have Call Waiting, the Call Waiting tone will "beep" in the
pattern of the number being called.

Each number can be individually forwarded if you have Call Forwarding.

RINGMATE Service costs $3/month for one additional telephone number
and $5/month for two numbers.

The additional number(s) can be listed or unlisted.

To order RINGMATE, call 800.922.8383 x319 (M-F 9-8, Sa 9-4).

NET used 555-xxxx numbers to demonstrate this service at the recent home show.

shawng@pro-charlotte.cts.com (System Administrator) (03/04/90)

   From: SOLOMON@mis.arizona.edu (Unknown User)
   Subject: RINGMATE from New England Telephone

>Some areas served by New England Telephone can now sign up for their new
>RINGMATE(sm) service.

>Now you can know who's calling you - or who a call is for - by the way
>the phone rings!

Southern Bell has been offering this service for some time now.  While
I can't recall what they call the service (either Ringmaster or
Linebacker), you have the same capabilities as the RINGMATE Service.

As mentioned earlier, the numbers may be listed or unlisted.  In
addition, they asked me if I wanted my Call-Forwarding to extend to
the additional numbers.  You could have the capability to have your
regular number forwarded, but your additional number(s) could ring
through.

The charges from Southern Bell are similar to what NET charges.

This is a GREAT feature for my wife and I.....we give our respective
employers one of the additional numbers, we give family and friends
the other additional number, and the bill collectors, riff-raff, et al
get the regular number.  By listening to the ring, we know who (in
general) is calling before we answer the phone.  Similarly, if I hear
the double-ring (the number we gave my office) at 3:00am, I know darn
well I better answer it!

Shawn