[comp.dcom.telecom] Why DOES AT&T Behave The Way They Do?

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (02/28/90)

 ...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu writes:

% I wanted to buy a directory sheet for my Touch-a-Matic 32.  That's the
% thing you pencil the numbers {you program into the memory buttons}
% onto so you see "SAM" when you want Sam.  It says,

% 	DIRECTORY SHEET SET 840393672

% on it. The instruction book comes with 1-800-247-7000.  I will say no
% more, because my story is so close to Roy's that he could sue me for
% plagiarism and win. What jury would believe me?

Several years ago I tried to find a replacement battery for the unit.
I didn't have a book.  I gave up after 20 calls across 3 days.  Later
I was given 2 more.  One had a good battery.  I disassembled the bad
battery (with a saw blade in a dremel moto-tool).  Replacement cells
can be had from Alexander Battery Co.  Unfortunately the pack no
longer fits in the pocket in the bottom of the phone, but there are
enough unused pairs in the cable....

% Can we start a TELECOM Archive file on ATT_800_#s_to_nowhere?

Maybe Patrick can sell it to AT&T phone store counter clerks?  Or
supply it to 800- information?

% Anybody got any directory sheets?

I have three of those phones.  Not only do I need sheets, but two
legitimate memory backup batteries (10v, center tapped! i.e. +5v and
-5v), and a couple of housing parts (top cover, bottom plate, etc).  I
once saw a 9-line version of the Touch-a-matic, with a 16-button
Autovon pad.  Now that would be unusual to have in your house!

Mike Morris                      Internet:  Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
                                 Misslenet: 34.12 N, 118.02 W
#Include quote.cute.standard     Bellnet:   818-447-7052
#Include disclaimer.standard     Radionet:  WA6ILQ

[Moderator's Note: Listen, as we have found out, you can read them
their very own part numbers and they will still defy you, and tell you
you don't know what you are talking about. You want to hear another laugh?
Try calling 800 Directory and asking for 'AT&T Mail'... they will give
you some strange number in New Jersey which is answered 'hello', and
after you explain that you are trying to reach AT&T Mail Customer Service
they will (maybe) transfer you correctly to some other number. Try 201
Directory; they've never heard of AT&T Mail either, and finally they will
give you the Corporate switchboard and let her try to figure it out.  PT]

lenj@cwjcc.ins.cwru.edu (Leonard A. Jaffe) (03/05/90)

In article <4519@accuvax.nwu.edu> morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov.jpl.nasa.gov
(Mike Morris) writes:

[A lot of lines removed.]

>[Moderator's Note: Listen, as we have found out, you can read them
>their very own part numbers and they will still defy you, and tell you
>you don't know what you are talking about. You want to hear another laugh?
>Try calling 800 Directory and asking for 'AT&T Mail'... they will give
>you some strange number in New Jersey which is answered 'hello', and
>after you explain that you are trying to reach AT&T Mail Customer Service
>they will (maybe) transfer you correctly to some other number. Try 201
>Directory; they've never heard of AT&T Mail either, and finally they will
>give you the Corporate switchboard and let her try to figure it out.  PT]

I read the above a day before I was put in charge of gettting info about
AT&T Mail.  I contacted a person who I figured would know and he gave me
the name and number of his contact:
	          Jim Kwock     (201) 658-2122

I spoke to a very nice lady who I assume was Mr. Kwock's receptionist and
she said that she would send me the literature that I desired.  So thanx
for the tip, it sounds like you saved me a lot of cross country phone calls,
and aggravation.

 Leonard A.  Jaffe         || "Who needs information?"
 Telotech, Inc.            /\      - Roger Waters
 23775 Commerce Park Rd.   \/ "It ain't easy being cheesey."
 Beachwood, Ohio  44122    ||     - Chester Cheetah

 Uucp:	...!uunet!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!telotech!lenj
 Phone:	(216) 591-0240
 I don't speak for Telotech and They'll probably never let me.