[comp.dcom.telecom] Sprint Plus

eli@pws.bull.com (Steve Elias) (02/23/90)

Is everyone talking about the same thing with regard to Sprint Plus?
I'm not aware of any rebates or credits which are available under the
program.

Sprint Plus gives the subscriber a minimum bill of $8.00 per month,
but it gives them nighttime rates starting at 5PM, skipping evening
rates completely.  It's a good deal for long distance fiends who don't
like to call people after 11PM on weeknights...  I just signed up for
it this week.  I'll keep everyone informed as to the inevitable
billing fiascos this causes.  At best, it will cause me to get two
bills in one month...

; Steve Elias
; work phone:  508 671 7556 ;   email:  eli@pws.bull.com , eli@spdcc.com
; voice mail:  617 932 5598

carols@husc6.harvard.edu (Carol Springs) (02/26/90)

In article <4305@accuvax.nwu.edu> eli@pws.bull.com (Steve Elias) writes:

>Is everyone talking about the same thing with regard to Sprint Plus?
>I'm not aware of any rebates or credits which are available under the
>program.

Apparently the $25 rebate was a one-shot available to people who
subscribed last year.  Someone also mentioned the separate program of
frequent-caller points that Sprint just started offering.  This
program has the unfortunate name "Callers' Plus."

>Sprint Plus gives the subscriber a minimum bill of $8.00 per month,
>but it gives them nighttime rates starting at 5PM, skipping evening
>rates completely.  It's a good deal for long distance fiends who don't
>like to call people after 11PM on weeknights...  I just signed up for
>it this week.

Me too.  I'd seen Sprint Plus referred to occasionally in fine-print
sections of Sprint's literature, but I never knew what the program was
until reading about it in this group.  And this confuses me.  I read
Sprint's little promotional brochures that come with the bill each
month.  Sprint Plus sounds like an opportunity I'd've jumped at if
only I'd seen it advertised.  Exactly when was the program instituted?
Any other Sprint subscribers out there, who scan their mailings
reasonably carefully, who nevertheless did *not know* about Sprint
Plus until recently?

Carol Springs                      carols@drilex.dri.mgh.com

carols@husc6.harvard.edu (Carol Springs) (03/05/90)

I asked how well-publicized Sprint Plus had been to existing
subscribers.  I've received no responses, but I have my own
speculations.

Sprint Plus is clearly a response to AT&T's Reach Out America
option--or is it vice versa?  I think Reach Out America was first,
although the television ad saturation is just now hitting.  (I've seen
no corresponding Sprint Plus TV ads.)  Both companies are offering
night/ weekend rates after 5:00 p.m. to subscribers in exchange for
customers' paying a minimum every month.  Judging from the fine print
on the bottom of the TV screen, AT&T offers these rates from 5:00 p.m.
to 10:00 p.m.; Sprint offers them during the 10:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
period also (I think).  Sprint Plus's minimum monthly charge is $8 and
I don't know what AT&T's is.  MCI probably offers a similar service.

To the extent that Sprint Plus has been advertised, I suspect the
campaign has been geared to those who aren't yet subscribers.  There
is no advantage to Sprint if a customer like me, who already makes
lots of evening calls, switches to Sprint Plus--unless, of course, I
start making many more evening calls than I did in the past.  They're
not likely to gain new revenue from my switching.  I can see Sprint
also targeting customers whose billing history reflects lots of, say,
weekend calls and few evening calls, on the assumption that these
people will start calling more friends during the evenings if it's
cheaper.

So I'll ask the people who heard about Sprint Plus from Sprint itself:
Were you already a Sprint customer?  If so, was the option described
in a brochure with your regular monthly mailing, or what?  Anyone know
if AT&T is sending out Reach Out America brochures directly to its
customers?  (Not that it needs to, given the massive ad campaign...)