[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T Sourcecode: Poison!

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (02/25/90)

The news on the street is that there is more to the Jolnet stink than
has been previously revealed --

We're told by a deep-throat type that AT&T is on the war path about
their software, and that 3b2 people in particular are targeted for
'counseling' and whatever corrective action is deemed necessary by
'the authorities'.

So the story on the street goes, another prominent netter was arrested
just recently by the same friendly folks who shut down Jolnet not long
ago. Like jolnet, netsys went down abruptly, with *everything*
confiscated, including a box of old busted up circuit boards in the
basement which hadn't been looked at in years. Now comes news that
attcdc, formerly known as killer went off line in a hurry.....

When 'the authorities' come a-calling, with warrant in hand, and their
credentials in order, they start looking for Mother's source code; 3b2
stuff and the like, and they keep looking until they find it.

You say they won't come knocking at your door?  You say you'll take it
all off line and store it on a reel of tape stashed in the back of the
bottom drawer of an old file cabinet somewhere?  They *will* find it.
And when they find it, your choices will be:

     1) You stole this from AT&T. You are a cracker. You'll go to jail.

     2) If you didn't steal it from AT&T, then someone gave it to you.
        Tell us who.... if you won't tell us, then go back to choice 1.

        If you will snitch, and tell us who gave you this code, then
        the Court will be lenient and show mercy upon you -- but we
        won't put that in writing of course! :)

Faced with these two options, of course everyone selects choice 2. And
with the new information gleaned from the visit, another site is
scheduled for downtime.

Consider Rich Andrews of Jolnet: Our deep-throat says Rich was first
confronted in the 911 software caper, then the feds found other
goodies.  Could it be the feds started squeezing in a private place
and Rich started singing the tune they wanted to hear? Do crackers
stick together when times get tough or do they turn on each other?

You just never know about these things. Some people have been saying
the only safe thing to do at this point is 'rm illegal.software'; go
wash their hands and be done with it, but far be it from me to suggest
such a thing.  That could be construed as an obstruction of justice in
what appears now to be an on-going investigation in our net community
of people whose systems are dirty....

Jolnet ===> netsys ===> attcdc (killer) ===>  your 3b2 site name here.

Patrick Townson

jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) (02/27/90)

In comp.dcom.telecom you write:

>When 'the authorities' come a-calling, with warrant in hand, and their
>credentials in order, they start looking for Mother's source code; 3b2
>stuff and the like, and they keep looking until they find it.

I've always said that possession (use, sale, distribution) of AT&T
software should be a crime.  Now it appears that someone agrees with
me, but it's a bit of a surprise that it's AT&T itself.  Hmmm, maybe
AT&T knows something we don't?

Well, here's to liberating Mach, and the fine work from the FSF.  The
time is coming when the arriving AT&T folks will be laughed at, and
invited to look for stolen copies of the periodic table too.  You
know, the one that's trademark AT&T, copyright Apple, patent IBM?

AT&T certainly has a right to protect its interests.  But the passion
it's showing in defense of its rights to yesterday's software would be
better directed toward developing the software that will sell
tomorrow.  Of course, given the ratio of programmers to lawyers in the
boardroom, I realize that this will be hard to explain to management.

Jonathan Krueger    jkrueger@dtic.dla.mil   uunet!dgis!jkrueger
The Philip Morris Companies, Inc: without question the strongest
and best argument for an anti-flag-waving amendment.

la063249@zach.fit.edu (Bill Huttig) (02/28/90)

I thought killer was already closed down for the AT&T source code thing a
couple years back. When it came back online it became attcdc.

Bill

[Moderator's Note: You thought correctly, however it is down again, as
of a few days ago. Wondering why?  Maybe I will have some answers, in
the form of comments by Mike Andrews in a day or so.   PT]

wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) (02/28/90)

>I thought killer was already closed down for the AT&T source code thing a
>couple years back. When it came back online it became attcdc.

attctc. WITH A T!!

Bill Wisner <wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775
"Put a cork in it, Wisner." -- Karl Kleinpaste <karl@cis.ohio-state.edu>

[Moderator's Note: I know, I know! That's one typo (in two places
yet!) that got passed me and embarasses me still.  PT]

learn@igloo.scum.com (Bill Vajk) (03/02/90)

In article <4467@accuvax.nwu.edu>, jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) writes:

> AT&T certainly has a right to protect its interests.  But the passion
> it's showing in defense of its rights to yesterday's software would be
> better directed toward developing the software that will sell
> tomorrow.  Of course, given the ratio of programmers to lawyers in the
> boardroom, I realize that this will be hard to explain to management.

There is never any justification for theft. On the other hand, I know
less than a handful of people who have legally purchased every bit of
software on their computers, and I know a lot of folks with computers.

If a friend comes over one night, has just purchased a great new game,
and you and he plug it into your machine to play it, are you going to
erase it from the harddrive when he goes home taking the floppies with
him? In fact, have you erased it yet?

Generally, the answer is no.

Is it likely that the software house is going to come calling to
investigate your machine? No.

Many of us date back to CPM days, when sharing was the way things were
done in a hobbyist fashion. A 3b2-300 cost what, perhaps 30,000
dollars or some ridiculous amount back then? And out comes Osborne
with bundled software, a great deal for everyone. And precludes the
necessity to purchase any additional essentials in terms of software.
And Saint Ward Christensen gives his code to the world, all except
CBBS which costs $50 to help support the first BBS. Want to copy
software? Just join the usergroup of your choice.  Lots of machines
and software available at the monthly meetings. CFOG used to cost 15
bux a year. Bring your machine, and lots of blank floppies.

The sanctity and priesthood of the mainframe and mini have eroded
away. Today a 3b2-300 is advertised on the net for under $2000. We,
the hobbyists, have invaded the world previously the feudal realm of
big bux, and have brought our hobbyist mentality into the world of
power computing. By today's standards, a 3b2-300 is hardly a
powerhouse. Most 80386 machines will run circles around it. But we're
in the realm of AT&T software, and the feudal mentality.

Given that Unix is now some 21 years old, and most of the source is
pretty much compatable up and down the line over that time period,
there is simply no way for AT&T to track all the source it has
licensed. Indeed, Unix source has become much like the gun issue.
Every gun manufactured, ever, was originally sold legitimately. Yet
how many are illegally posessed today?

Two cases in particular befit this discussion. I don't have the
details, but some company in Wisconsin went bankrupt in the past
couple of years. Among the goods auctioned off by the sheriff was a
computer system WITH a Unix source license. This is was a legal sale,
and no non-disclosure agreement was completed between the purchaser
and AT&T. The source code license, whether AT&T likes it or not, was
listed as an asset by the bankrupt company, and as such, there existed
a legal requirement that the sheriff sell it at auction.

The only protection I see for AT&T was to be present at the auction
and purchase the source license back themselves. And if you have to
buy it back, who really owns it? This case really begs the
intellectual property rights question. When yacc source code was
published on the net a few years back, someone from AT&T made the
suggestion that anyone who saved it should destroy it. When asked
directly if this had indeed been AT&T source code, plaintiff respondeth
not.

The other case, of which I have some first hand knowledge, is a
company we all know and love, A. B. Dick. They usually stuck to the
business of duplicating machines, but following the miswisdom of
others in the pre-desktop-IBM days made a forray into the world of
computers. They came out with a Unix based machine. Slow and
cumbersome, a terrible thing. Sounded like a jet plane winding up when
you flipped the switch. And in a home, you need no furnace in the
wintertime. When they saturated their little market, they shoved their
machines used for development into the back of their warehouse on
Touhy Avenue in Chicago. Eventually, these refrigerator sized boxes
were disposed of, a few at a time, to hobbyists. No self respecting
business would accept one as a gift. No guessing how many such boxes
were shipped out the back door, nor how many had full source code on
them.

I don't advocate theft. I can't justify posession of software I didn't
pay for. Do I have any, personally? Like most folks I know, I have a
few for my IBM clone. And how about the ones I bought from a
legitimate dealer which are stamped "Demo only -- NOT FOR RESALE."

AT&T has been known, historically, for their strange view of the real
world.  As soon as there is another OS available, with good stability
and multi-user and UUCPish capabilities, I'll switch. I worked for
Western Electric once upon a time. And I have some neat stories about
11 character per inch typewriters.....the standards are 10 and 12.
They sure knew how to live in a protected environment.

The determinations of ownership of source code aren't as nicely
cleancut as prosecuting attorneys would like to have one believe. But
there's something to be said for the clout associated with the driving
force behind these prosecutions, and the expense of defending against
them.

Bill Vajk  |  It is the greatest good to the greatest number

wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil (Will Martin) (03/03/90)

>I worked for Western Electric once upon a time. And I have some neat
>stories about 11 character per inch typewriters.....the standards are
>10 and 12.  They sure knew how to live in a protected environment.

That sure rings a bell! We had some UNIX training here by contract
with Western Electric back many years ago. We still have the special
WE-unique *4-ring* binders and *4-hole-punched* paper they provided to
us as part of the training materials. Designed specifically to be
incompatible with ordinary 3-hole-punched standard paper and 3-ring
binders, these look ordinary from the outside, but are sure different
inside! The instructor mumbled something about it being a way to
prevent employees from stealing supplies to use at home or give to
their kids at school. Somehow I think the extra costs of having
special products designed and produced for WE would far exceed the
amount lost through employee petty theft if they used ordinary
commercial products... :-)

Please post your 11-cpi-typewriter tales!

Regards, Will

> WE-unique *4-ring* binders and *4-hole-punched* paper they provided to
> us as part of the training materials. Designed specifically to be
> incompatible with ordinary 3-hole-punched standard paper and 3-ring
> binders, ...

Four ring binders are standard in many parts of the world. I have a
bunch of stuff on 4-ring paper. In fact when I was in Australia this
excuse was given to me as an explanation of why the Honeywell Level 6
documents were pubbed in (USA) 3-ring binders. I'd think it'd be
pretty easy for them to get as much of the 4-ring kind as they want.

 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \
\_.--._/ Xenix Support -- it's not just a job, it's an adventure!
      v  "Have you hugged your wolf today?" `-_-'