[comp.dcom.telecom] *TONE-BLOCK*

dam@mtqua.att.com (Daniel A Margolis) (02/24/90)

The ability to suspend Call Waiting is called *TONE-BLOCK* here in New
Jersey Bell land, but here's the catch - you have to subscribe to it.
You have to pay 50 cents extra per month to use it.

Dan Margolis

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/26/90)

> [Moderator's Note: But for that fifty cents per month for the right to
> interim dial tone, what prevents you from dialing whatever you want against
> that dial tone, i.e. a complete number of another party?  I don't
> think you are correct on this.   PT]

There is dial tone on my statewide 800 number. You might ask, "What
would prevent someone from making calls on that line (for which it is
not tariffed)?" If you dial anything other than an intercom code, you
get a recording. The reason for the dial tone in the first place is so
that the line can access the Commstar features, and calls can be
transferred.

Maybe the "Tone Block" interim dial tone is so restricted if the
customer doesn't have three way calling.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

c186aj@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (02/26/90)

In article <4319@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>The ability to suspend Call Waiting is called *TONE-BLOCK* here in New
>Jersey Bell land, but here's the catch - you have to subscribe to it.
>You have to pay 50 cents extra per month to use it.

The same thing was true last year when I lived in GTE land in
Washington State.  Maybe SWB should give everyone call waiting for
free, then charge $10/month for cancel call waiting - then they would
effectively have their modem surcharge! :-)

tel@cdsdb1.att.com (Tom Lowe) (02/28/90)

>In article <4348@accuvax.nwu.edu>, tel@cdsdb1.att.com (Tom Lowe) writes:

> > > The ability to suspend Call Waiting is called *TONE-BLOCK* here in New
> > > Jersey Bell land, but here's the catch - you have to subscribe to it.
> > > You have to pay 50 cents extra per month to use it.

> > Not necessarily true...I have it and I don't pay 50 cents per month
> > for it.
> > Does anyone out there in Bell Atlantic country pay for this fifty
> > cents/month Tone Block Feature?  If I remember, I'll give the business
> > office a call next week and ask them some questions.

> Allen Hom at ahom@rruxff.cc.bellcore.com replied:
> I have tone block (as well as other CLASS services).  When I had
> signed up for the services, the "salesperson" did mention the $0.50
> extra charge for this service, and I see that charge monthly on my
> phone bill.  Well worth the service, especially when you dial into
> work from home.

I did call the business office to ask about Tone Block.  They informed
me that it is not available in my area.  I told them that I use it and
it works and they informed me that I don't use it and it doesn't work.
Well, I use it all the time and it works.  That explains why I don't
pay 50 cents a month for it.

I agree that 50 cents would be worth it if I had to pay.  This wasn't
the first time I had a hard time getting a logical answer from the
business office.  It's frustrating living in a place where the telco
doesn't even know what their switches can and can't do.

Tom Lowe
tel@cdsdb1.ATT.COM

[Moderator's Note: Why don't you take a copy of this message, find out
who is the manager of the business office where you called, and send
him a copy of it. Advise him that you do indeed use Tone Block, a/k/a
Cancel (Suspend) Call-Waiting; i.e. *70, 1170, 70# or whatever your
switch requires, and add a note saying, "would you please only allow
employees who have been trained to work with subscribers and answer
their questions to take customer calls in the future." And mail it to
him by name at the street address of that business office.  PT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (03/02/90)

Tom Lowe <tel@cdsdb1.att.com> writes:

> I agree that 50 cents would be worth it if I had to pay.  This wasn't
> the first time I had a hard time getting a logical answer from the
> business office.  It's frustrating living in a place where the telco
> doesn't even know what their switches can and can't do.

Just this past week, a Digest reader contacted me for help because
Pac*Bell insisted upon charging him for an unlisted phone even though
he has listed service at the same address in his name. The rep
insisted that this didn't matter and that he would have to pay for at
least one unlisted line, but that subsequent lines would be unlisted
at no charge.

I kept telling him to go back and ask for supervisors, etc., but
numerous calls to the business office netted the same answer.  No one
would budge on this point. Finally I reached a contact of mine at PB
who gave me chapter and verse from the handbook that confirms the
policy of not charging for unlisted "second" service. Had it not been
for that information, this person would probably still be unfairly
charged for an unlisted line.

It's bad enough that the customer has to educate the reps on correct
procedure, but it's even worse that the initial reps wouldn't even
take the trouble to look up the applicable sections in the handbook.
How many people do you suppose are out there paying for things they
need not pay for, or worse, paying for things they don't even have?

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: Smart consultants earn a good part of their living by
cutting a deal with their clients where they audit the phone bill for
a period of several months past. Then they take a percentage of whatever
they save their client. Incorrect billing by local telcos due to changes
in equipment and service never recorded correctly is a scandal. Illinois
Bell has had cases where they were forced to refund over a million dollars
to a single customer based on errors in a single year alone.  PT]

dhk@uunet.uu.net> (03/14/90)

 From article <4628@accuvax.nwu.edu>, by john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon):

> Tom Lowe <tel@cdsdb1.att.com> writes:

 [Tale of woe about ill-educated service reps deleted]

> [Moderator's Note: Smart consultants earn a good part of their living by
> cutting a deal with their clients where they audit the phone bill for
> a period of several months past. Then they take a percentage of whatever
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
					(Sleezy Practice)
> they save their client. Incorrect billing by local telcos due to changes
> in equipment and service never recorded correctly is a scandal.

Legend has it that this kind of "consulting" was at one time very
common in the trucking industry.  The "consultant" would tell the
client that they would cut the client's phone bill by a large
percentage, by finding billing errors and "optimizing the network".

They would take, as their fee, up to half of the savings, sometimes
for as much as five year's worth.  They would then take a quick look
for errors, and if there wern't enough savings to provide a large
enough fee, they'd start ripping out WATS and 800 lines.  They would
then block LD calls on local lines.  Sure enough, the phone bills
would drop dramatically. The "consultant" would get their fee, and go
on his way.  Of course, when the truckers customers couldn't reach the
company, and the dispatchers couldn't get an outside line, and
revenues started dropping.

I agree that billing errors are rampant, especially where equipment
was transferred from the Bell Operating Company to AT&T at divisiture.
We have found cases where the client was being billed for equipment
that had been removed (or ordered removed) even before '83.  And we
still see cases where the Telco is charging for CPE that AT&T is also
charging for.

Our policy, and that of most reputable consultants, is that any
savings or refunds that we find are the client's.  We feel that we can
make a reasonable profit on our hourly fees alone.  Our clients seem
to agree, at least they keep calling back  :-).

Don H Kemp			"Always listen to experts.  They'll
B B & K Associates, Inc.         tell you what can't be done, and
Rutland, VT			 why.  Then do it."
uunet!uvm-gen!teletech!dhk	  	               Lazarus Long

[Moderator's Note: Indeed, it was a much more common approach years
ago then now; but even then, the ethical consultants signed a contract
with the client saying they would divide the 'savings' in two parts:
the telco billing errors in one group and the service configuration/
judgment calls in another. They agreed to discuss both categories with
the client. Obviously, the billing errors were reported and corrected.
Regards the other, the client agreed in the contract that if he chose
to implement the recommendations of the consultant at any time in the
near future -- say the next year -- he was liable for that portion of
the fees the consultant would have earned had the changes been made at
the time of the consultation.  PT]