[comp.dcom.telecom] Wrong Number For Model

"Michael L. Starr" <starr@hriso.att.com> (03/14/90)

In article <5002@accuvax.nwu.edu> brock@brock.cs.unc.edu (J. Dean Brock)
writes:

>The March 7 issue of the [Durham Morning Herald] had a front page
>article about Charlotte Clark, a 68 year old Durham women, who is
>receiving many, many calls from men eager to converse with with
>Durham's other Charlotte Clark, a 20 year old Duke University student
>who posed for a Playboy feature entitled "Girls of the ACC."

This reminds me of an article I read several years ago in the
[Washington Post.]  The electric company in Virginia changed their name
from VEPCO to Virginia Power (apparently to avoid the confusion with
another company in the area, PEPCO).  It seems that whenever calls to
directory assistance came in requesting the number of Virginia Power,
the operators gave the number of an elderly woman named Virginia
Power.  After a period of a constant flood of calls to this poor
woman, the operators were instructed to ask callers whether they
wanted the power company or the individual.

 \    /  * Michael L. Starr *  \    /   |       att!hriso!starr