[comp.dcom.telecom] Choke Exchange

Blake Farenthold <blake@pro-party.cts.com> (03/15/90)

jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) writes:

>The choke exchange in Los Angeles charges for all call attempts, too.
>My first bill from GTE was quite a surprise.

I can't beleive the radio stations stand for this.  When I was working
in radio (10 years ago) we fried comthing at the CO giving away $1,000
and a few weeks later the phone company came out with the "radio
exchange".

We didn't want to change our request/contest line number and told 'em
so.  They said if we didnt get on the choke exchange the'd cut off ALL
our phones if we jammed the CO again.

This had some people in the programming and engeneering departments at
the station awfully mad.  We had several plans.  The programmers
suggested we urge all our listeners to rip out their phones and march
on the business office.  The engineers had th better plan though: Let
'em cut off our phones.  We'd use the 2 way radios and send a DJ to a
payphone.. he'd come on the air and say we're giving the money away to
the first caller at xxx-xxxx.  We'd fry the phone system every day
from a different location.

Fortunatly for the station, cooler (management) heads prevailed and we
just hopped on the radio exchange bandwagon. But if they started
charging listeners for the calls, that seems to defeat the purpose of
a give-a-way if not violate FCC rules relating to stations conducting
lotteries.

UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!blake
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-party!blake@nosc.mil
INET: blake@pro-party.cts.com

Blake Farenthold         | Voice: 800/880-1890     |    MCI: BFARENTHOLD
1200 MBank North         |   Fax: 512/889-8686     |    CIS: 70070,521
Corpus Christi, TX 78471 |   BBS: 512/882-1899     |  GEnie: BLAKE

[Moderator's Note: The fallacy in your argument is that charging for a
phone call to reach the radio station lottery is violating rules
pertaining to contests. Contests which have you mail in a coupon or
ticket are not violating the law because the post office requires a stamp
on the envelope. Both the postage stamp and the telephone charge are
simply fees for transporting the message.  PT]