[comp.dcom.telecom] London 071, 081 Split

levin@bbn.com (Joel B. Levin) (03/13/90)

>Date: Thu, 08 Mar 90 18:41:17 +0000
>From: Kevin Hopkins <pkh%computer-science.nottingham.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>

>In v10i114 John Pettitt <jpp@specialix.co.uk> reported:

>-> The new London area codes that come into full use on May 1st
>-> work now!

>-> Calling 081 941 2564 (my office) works just fine.  If I dial 071 941
>-> 2564 I get "Please re-dial omitting the 071, this is test announcment
>-> three".

>I tried this from outside London (Nottingham - 0602), unlike John, and
>it also works. If you get the correct code the call completes put if
>you get the wrong one a recorded message is played saying:

>"Sorry, you have used the wrong code. Please redial replacing 071 with
>081.  British Telecom have not charged for this call." The 071/081 are
>obviously reversed for the other new area code.

I was sitting at home reading this last night, and I thought it might
be amusing to get a British Telecom recording.  If worse came to worst
I might be charged a buck or two for reaching a recording, but it
would be worth it for a few minutes' entertainment.  (If I actually
rang a number by accident it would be Mr. Pettitt's office number,
which should cause no one any great inconvenience at 2:45 am.)

I thought I would try all three carriers available to me (that I know
of)*.  I started with my default, Sprint, using the invalid 071 "city
code" (as they are termed by American telcos).  I received a recording
(American accent) from Sprint ("58-93"), who could not complete my
international call as dialled.  I thought, "Aha, Sprint does not know
about these new city codes."  However, when I tried MCI, the recording
informed me that I did not have to dial "0" after the country code
("2EN").  Oops, I had been dialling 011-44-071- when I should have
been dialling 011-44-71- (and I should have known better).

I went back to Sprint and tried the number correctly.  This time I was
informed "60-93 You have entered an invalid country or city code."
MCI informed me "Your international call cannot be completed as
dialled ...  2EN."  The first time I tried AT&T (I tried each carrier
at least twice) I got the message, following three tones, that my
international call could not be completed as dialled and suggesting
that if I continued to have trouble I should contact the AT&T
operator.  I had not yet heard a British accent.

Now it gets strange.  When I repeated the above test, with 10288-
011-44-71-etc., I got a something new.  Three loud and harmonic laden
tones followed by this message: "Due to the earthquake in the area you
are calling, your call cannot be completed at this time.  Please try
your call later."  These tones and words were repeat once.  After a
pause three similar but not identical tones at a more normal volume
were followed by "Your call cannot be completed at this time to the
country you are calling.  Please try your call again later." spoken
very slowly and distinctly.  I hung up after hearing this message the
second time.  I got the same sequence of recordings the next three
times I dialled, and one more time fifteen minutes later**.  Needless
to say, CBS did not interrupt with a bulletin and the 11:00 news did
not report a recent earthquake anywhere.

I repeated all the above numbers using the soon-to-be-valid city code
of 081 (without "0").  The results were the same as for 071, except
that I did not get the earthquake message from AT&T.  Finally, just
for the heck of it, I dialled via Sprint using 011-44-1- and shortly
heard a ringing tone (I disconnected immediately).

>BT must have informed large institutions/companies of the change, and
>especially their telephone people, as the new codes work from behind
>the PBX here at work. The new codes were blocked a couple of months ago
>when I last tried.

I guess these three international carriers are not in such a hurry as
the various PBXs, or BT has not got around to telling them.

	/JBL

*For completists I should state that I placed all these calls from New
Hampshire in 603-880.

**I tried again two hours later (midnight local time) and at 7:30 this
morning.  Still an earthquake somewhere, apparently.  Now I'm in
Cambridge I'll try again when I get to a pay phone (my PBX here won't
accept 10288 unfortunately, and the default carrier turns out not to be
AT&T).

levin@bbn.com  |  "There were sweetheart roses on Yancey Wilmerding's
 ...!bbn!levin  |  bureau that morning.  Wide-eyed and distraught, she
(617)873-3463  |  stood with all her faculties rooted to the floor."

jimmy@icjapan.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) (03/17/90)

In article <5138@accuvax.nwu.edu> levin@bbn.com (Joel B. Levin) writes:

>However, when I tried MCI, the recording
>informed me that I did not have to dial "0" after the country code

If they know exactly what you have dialed wrong, why don't they just
put the call through?