[comp.dcom.telecom] Information Wanted on Repeat Dial Feature

Steve Elias <eli@ursa-major.spdcc.com> (03/13/90)

I saw a TV ad in NJ this weekend for a "repeat dial" service available
from the local telco.  Does anyone know anything about this service???

eli@spdcc.com

Dave Levenson <dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net> (03/18/90)

In article <5146@accuvax.nwu.edu>, eli@ursa-major.spdcc.com (Steve Elias)
writes:

> I saw a TV ad in NJ this weekend for a "repeat dial" service available
> from the local telco.  Does anyone know anything about this service???

Repeat*Call service is part of a package of custom calling services
offered by NJ Bell under the service mark CLASS.  With this service,
if you call a busy number, you then hang up, go off-hook, dial a
feature-activation code, and hang up again.  When the number you
previously dialed becomes not-busy, if your line is not-busy, you get
a call back.  If you answer, then that number gets called, and you get
connected.  While waiting, you may make or receive other calls.  (The
CO isn't really repeatedly re-trying, as the name suggests.  It
actually requests that the distant central office send notification
when the status of the called number changes.)

Note that the number you called must be within your LATA, and must be
served by a central office equipped for CLASS services.  If these two
requirements are not met, you are given a recorded message in response
to your feature-activation code, and you receive no call-back.

Dave Levenson			Voice: 201 647 0900  Fax: 201 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave