[comp.dcom.telecom] Bellcore Number Busy

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> (03/16/90)

Today, March 15, the Bellcore number ("enter area code...enter
exchange...")  accepted my call, but treated all the prefixes I
entered as non-existent (i.e., went right on to the next area code
prompt). Later in the day I tried again, and I was able to use that
service, punch-in and all.

Dave Levenson <dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net> (03/17/90)

In article <5072@accuvax.nwu.edu>, cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

> On Saturday and today, I have tried calling the Bellcore number given
> for punching in area code and exchange, and the number, 201-644-5639,
> is busy.  How do I check what is wrong?

That's a relatively local call from here.  It answered, and performed
as expected when I tried it this evening.  But it is a bit out of
date.  It correctly identified the location of several local and
out-of-town places I frequently call, but it had no audible response
at all to 708-864.  When I tried 312-864, it identified it as
Evanston, IL, which was correct until a month ago or so.  (But it
pronounced it as 'eevanston ill'.)

Dave Levenson			Voice: (201 | 908) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.			Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

Bill Fenner <wcf@hcx.psu.edu> (03/19/90)

In article <5271@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

|Today, March 15, the Bellcore number ("enter area code...enter
|exchange...")  accepted my call, but treated all the prefixes I
|entered as non-existent (i.e., went right on to the next area code
|prompt). Later in the day I tried again, and I was able to use that
|service, punch-in and all.

I just tried it, and all the local exchanges I tried, those belonging
to PSU, local towns, and State College, all got "State cllg, paw."
Wonderful text-to-speech, there... even my Radio Shack pair of voice
synthesis chips does better than that.

Bill Fenner                   wcf@hcx.psu.edu             ..!psuvax1!psuhcx!wcf
sysop@hogbbs.fidonet.org (1:129/87 - 814/238-9633)     ..!lll-winken!/