[comp.dcom.telecom] Persistent Wrong Number Bozos

Tom Lowe <tel@cdsdb1.att.com> (03/13/90)

stank@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Stan Krieger) writes:

> So, in order to make sure that the error
> wasn't one of my dialing or the telcos switching, I asked the person
> if I had reached (516) etc.; she said "no".  OK, so I called that
> number again, and of course the same person answered.

> Now, I can almost understand people not wanting to give away their
> phone number to a person who reached them by mistake, but if I already
> have their phone number, and tell them what it is, it means I didn't
> reach them by mistake, so at that point what difference does it make?

In many business environments, people don't necessarily know exactly
what number they are answering.  It may be a pots line that is used
exclusively for a toll-free number (although no restrictions on
calling the pots number), or part of a hunt group or any one of other
strange arrangements.  At one of my former jobs, my phone could
potentially be reached by dialing 3 or 4 different numbers, and I had
no idea which number had actually been dialed.

Then again, maybe they were just lying to you.

Tom Lowe
AT&T
tel@cdsdb1.ATT.COM

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (03/15/90)

Stan Krieger asked about why someone would lie to him when he has
dialed a wrong number (but not misdialed) and wants to verify the
number with them by asking "have I reached (x-number)?"...then they
say "no", and he calls back and gets them again.

I have had this happen, and here is what is really going on.  You have
accurately dialed what was originally a wrong number, but it comes on
as part of a group of lines into a business.  Like where I work, our
main number is 881-7000.  If that line is busy, it rotates to the next
line, and the next line, etc.  Each line has its own number, and it is
not consecutive, like 881-7001, etc.  So the receptionist or whoever
answers our phone at work, says, "no, you haven't reached 881-7459,
this is 881-7000."  She is not lying, she just doesn't know what the
number is for the third line in the trunk group, or whatever you have
come in on.

Tad Cook
Seattle, WA
Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA
Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544
Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad
or, tad@ssc.UUCP

king%cell.mot.COM@uunet.uu.net> (03/19/90)

And here's my obligatory Persistent Wrong Number horror story:

A few years back, I was running a BBS out of my dorm room.  For
various reasons, I shut it down after only three months.  Within that
period of time, it seems some helpful person listed my board on a
national service (I think it was Compu$erve, but I can't say for
sure).  Middle-of-the-night calls were a common occurrance through the
rest of the school year; as a matter of course I started shutting the
ringer off at night.  How do I know calls persisted?  I sometimes
forgot to hit the switch before I went to bed... :-(  I curse the
Commodore engineer who decided their modems should generate carrier in
ORIGINATE mode without first checking for an answering carrier!

A friend of mine was running a board out of his dorm room, too.  His
was up for several years, and was quite popular.  When he graduated he
recommended that the phone number be retired for a while, for the
sanity of the next occupants of the room.  The university didn't
listen to him.  I hear that the new occupants were quite mystified
(and upset!) over strange calls at all hours of the night, with either
silence or a weird squealing on the other end of the line.  I think
they finally got the number changed.

If there's a byte of data in the computer but no   | Steve King  (708) 991-8056
pointer is pointing to it, then it isn't really    |   ...uunet!motcid!king
there.                                             |   ...ddsw1!palnet!stevek