[comp.dcom.telecom] Sprint and Three-way Calling

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (03/14/90)

Steve Elias <eli@pws.bull.com> writes:

> I tried using ATT with 3 way calling, and the volume
> levels were definitely lacking compared to Sprint...

I think you may be experiencing a quirk of your area. My experience up
and down the state of California has been exactly the opposite. The
differences are minor, but usually if there is a difference, it's in
favor of AT&T. AT&T ought to know how to make their own technology
work!

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

Chip Rosenthal <chip@chinacat.lonestar.org> (03/16/90)

In article <5136@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> writes:

>> I tried using ATT with 3 way calling, and the volume
>> levels were definitely lacking compared to Sprint...
>I think you may be experiencing a quirk of your area. My experience up

>and down the state of California has been exactly the opposite.

Not necessarily.  I saw some tests of using V.35 modems with the three
LD carriers in Data Communications about a year back.  In all tests
(BER, call completion, setup time, etc.) AT&T won, except for one.
Sprint had the best signal levels.  I doubt it's a quirk so much as
different results for different conditions.

Chip Rosenthal                            |  Yes, you're a happy man and you're
chip@chinacat.Lonestar.ORG                |  a lucky man, but are you a smart
Unicom Systems Development, 512-482-8260  |  man?  -David Bromberg

rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu (Linc Madison) (03/21/90)

In article <5228@accuvax.nwu.edu> Chip Rosenthal writes:

>Not necessarily.  I saw some tests of using V.35 modems with the three
>LD carriers in Data Communications about a year back.  In all tests
>(BER, call completion, setup time, etc.) AT&T won, except for one.
>Sprint had the best signal levels.  I doubt it's a quirk so much as
>different results for different conditions.

About three years ago, I was working on a project that required me
to send numerous faxen to Italy.  I thus had a strong interest in
signal quality comparisons between AT&T, MCI, and Sprint.  I found
that for voice communications, AT&T had a slight edge over MCI, with
Sprint a distant third.  For fax transmission, though, Sprint was the
winner by a mile, if you could get a circuit.  MCI was a close second,
and had enough of an advantage on circuit availability to make it the
overall winner.  AT&T was left in the dust  -- I almost never had a
retransmission on either Sprint or MCI, but AT&T botched the send due
to line noise about 65% of the time!  I wound up programming our fax
machine to auto-dial 9-10222-011-39-6-etc.  (Of course, the person who
reviews the phone bills sent my manager a note saying, "...but AT&T is
our official long-distance company."  When I explained the situation,
though, my manager said, "Don't sweat it; do what works."  Maybe his
common sense was why he was laid off...  1/2 :-)

Linc Madison   =   rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu