[comp.dcom.telecom] Interesting use of 900 Service

"Chuck Bennett (919)966-1134" <UCHUCK@unc.bitnet> (03/16/90)

Lotus Corporation has announced a 900 number for technical assistance
for its PC based product 1-2-3.  The rate structure is a reversal of
most 900 services... $0.00 1st minute, $2.00 each additional minute.
One is supposed to be immediately connected to a technical "high
trained engineer" for support.  They are doing this on a trial basis.
It will be interesting to see if this works and/or spreads.

Chuck Bennett
UNC, Chapel Hill, NC

Will Martin <wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil> (03/20/90)

>Lotus Corporation has announced a 900 number for technical assistance
>for its PC based product 1-2-3.  The rate structure is a reversal of
>most 900 services... $0.00 1st minute, $2.00 each additional minute.
>One is supposed to be immediately connected to a technical "high
>trained engineer" for support.  They are doing this on a trial basis.
>It will be interesting to see if this works and/or spreads.

Intriguing concept, but I find it hard to understand just what they
are trying to do with this arrangement. I get the impression that they
are encouraging simple questions -- if you can get your answer in a
minute, you don't pay anything. (But then Lotus has to pay for the
call -- the previously posted information on 900-call-charging assumed
the callers would always be paying more than the cost of the calls, so
I wonder how the billing arrangement works in this case...)

But then you pay more and more as your question gets more complex or
harder to answer. So it actively discourages difficult queries. Yet
this seems to be the reverse of what a technical hotline or
customer/user-assistance service is supposed to be doing. It promotes
"RTFM"-type questions that the user probably can and should figure out
for themselves in order to learn the use of the product, but punishes
the user for having a difficult problem they cannot get solved
locally.  Yet "pushing the envelope" for a product like 1-2-3 is the
way it gets applied in more and more areas and thus generates more
applicability and therefore eventually more sales. And finding obscure
bugs that didn't show up in regular product testing is what advanced
users are really good for, from a system-designers' and -implementers'
point of view. But such bugs would most probably be describable or
identifiable only after a *lot* of trial-and-error and give-and-take
between the user and the tech-assistance rep. This charging procedure
would discourage such interaction, thus leaving such bugs undiscovered
and lurking to bite other users and haunt the company in the future.

If they just don't want to be bothered, I could understand a high fee
for the first minute. But a zero fee for the first minute with some
fee thereafter is hard to comprehend, unless this is coupled with a
method for the tech-assistance folks to turn off the fee when they
recognize a valid problem or decide the time they are spending is
worthwhile to the company. Is that an available option for 900 calls --
that the callee has a button they can push that tells the telco
"this call is free to the caller"?

Regards, Will
wmartin@st-louis-emh2.army.mil OR wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil

David Schanen <mtv@milton.u.washington.edu> (03/21/90)

In article <5370@accuvax.nwu.edu> wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil (Will Martin)
writes:

>If they just don't want to be bothered, I could understand a high fee
>for the first minute. But a zero fee for the first minute with some
>fee thereafter is hard to comprehend, unless this is coupled with a
>method for the tech-assistance folks to turn off the fee when they
>recognize a valid problem or decide the time they are spending is
>worthwhile to the company. Is that an available option for 900 calls --
>that the callee has a button they can push that tells the telco
>"this call is free to the caller"?

    Being a former representaive for ATT/USWEST/Mountain Bell (during
divestiture) I'll tell what I know about 900 numbers.

    When I worked there, 900 sevice was being billed as single-number
service, or an alternative to having 2 800 lines (one for intra and
one for inter state)

    It also had a vote taking feature whereby you could charge the
customer for a vote that they cast.  (I thought this would be great
for demographics, you could see who was willing to part with a buck
for little in return.)

    How all these Phone Sex etc... $5-$30 per call things got started,
I don't know. As for Will's question I doubt very much that ATT or
anyone else who sells 900 service would let the customers turn off and
on their rates.

	-Dave

weave <@sun.acs.udel.edu:weave@sun.acs.udel.edu> (03/21/90)

>Lotus Corporation has announced a 900 number for technical assistance
>for its PC based product 1-2-3.

Yeah, sure... I can imagine me placing a 900 call from my office phone
to a service like this. We've already gotten threatening memos about
calling 900 or 976 numbers. (Every call we make causes a printer to
print the extension it came from and the telephone # called, along
with date/time.)

My employer will be convinced I'm calling up Dan Quayle's Nintendo Tip
Line.

I hope other vendors don't use this scheme or if they do, still offer
other maintenance arrangements.

Ken Weaverling - Systems Administrator |  Internet: weave@sun.acs.udel.edu
Delaware Technical & Community College |  Voice:    +1 302 573 5460