[comp.dcom.telecom] Defective "Bell" phones

SKASS@drew.bitnet (No gas will be sold to anyone in a glass container.) (03/20/90)

In TELECOM Digest #186, Brad Isley <bgi@salestech.com> writes:

> This is no news to me.  My wife works for Southern Bell.  They had a
> "special" offer for employees several years back for som phones made
> by "Bell".  She bought a cordless phone through this offer for a huge
> discount.  Later we discovered why the discount was so large.  The
> batteries would typically last about 10 minutes.  Nice touch (brand
> new).  At most any time, though it only happened when we were asleep,
> it would emit an ear-piercing squeal that would wake us up from the
> other side of the house.

I don't know what model you have, but it's a Southwestern Bell Freedom
phone.  I purchased one recently, and it had the same two problems you
describe, but they were easy to remedy.  The problem with the battery
is typical of Ni-Cad rechargeables.  You have to discharge it
completely (leave the phone ON and set on TALK, with the base unit
disconnected, for a day or so), then recharge it completely (again for
a day or so, now with the base unit plugged in).

The squeal was a bit harder to figure out.  Of the four switches on
the remote unit, one is OFF/ON and another is STANDBY/TALK.  To use
the phone, you must turn it ON, then set it to TALK.  The other way
round doesn't work.  Conversely, when you end a conversation, you have
to set it to STANDBY, then turn it OFF if you want (the remote won't
ring if it's OFF).  If you do it the wrong way, just shutting the
phone OFF while leaving it on TALK, the base unit squeals at odd
intervals (it happened while I was awake, fortunately).  Maybe someone
with a bit of technical knowledge can tell us why.

I'm happy mine (model 1725), though the speaker phone in the base unit
is pretty lousy, and programming numbers into the phone is awkward to
do, and you can't program a # into a number, making it impossible to
have a single button to retrieve my voice mail at work.  I chose it
over AT&T's model because the base unit is wall mountable.  It's
widely available on sale for about $149.  In addition, SW Bell has a
toll-free number for information about the phone.  I called for a
manual and got one within a few days.

I expect my old 2500 set to outlast the Freedom Phone, but I don't
regret the purchase.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: Steve Kass                                "An amount in this box means   ::
:: Department of Math & Computer Science      the fishing boat operator     ::
:: Drew University                            considers you self-employed." ::
:: Madison, NJ  07940            /\/                         -IRS Form 1099 ::
::                                                           :::::::::::::::::
:: skass@drew.bitnet         201-408-3614 (work, voice mail) ::
:: skass@drew.edu            201-514-1187 (home) ::::::::::::::
:: rutgers!njin!drew!skass ::::::::::::::::::::::::

PMW1@psuvm.psu.edu (Peter Weiss) (03/21/90)

As with all phones that depend on household electrical power, this
should _not_ be your one and only phone available to you in an
emergency.

Interestingly enough, some vendors of these phones put this kind of
warning in their instructions, and some do not.

Peter M. Weiss                   |  (this line intentionally left blank)
31 Shields Bldg (the AIS people) | advertize here, reach Mega populi
University Park, PA USA 16802    | Disclaimer :1 * applies herein