[comp.dcom.telecom] Modem Leapfrog to Avoid Toll Charges

kabra437@athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (03/13/90)

In article <4984@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>Is it illegal to have two modems tied up to each other so that a person could
>call the one modem and bounce to another (3d) modem to avoid toll charges?

I doubt that this lash-up is illegal anywhere in the U.S.  It's
probably not worth the trouble to really find out.  If you think about
it for a few minutes, there are a couple of other (better) ways to
accomplish the same thing.  Redialers or call diverters are available
on the open market that will do what you want without the added cost
of the modems.

If the intermediate office in your example has call forwarding
available, it will also accomplish the same thing using only one line
instead of two.  The drawback of the above two options is that you are
locked into a single terminating number to call.  Guess your modem
option would allow you some flexibility.  The cost of two lines and
two modems seems a pretty high price to pay to avoid paying the
short-haul toll charges.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (03/14/90)

In article <5047@accuvax.nwu.edu> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:

}To summarize: A to B is free, B to C is free, A to C is long distance,
}A to C via call forwarding in B is free.

}Works fairly well. Saves everyone a bit of money.

>[Moderator's Note: You mean it saves everyone a bit of money *except*
>for the person who subscribes to service 'B'. Someone is paying
>whatever the going rate for local service is for that line. Does the
>corresponding 'savings' experienced by users of the BBS offset the
>basic monthly charge?  Have you any idea who uses it, and how
>frequently?  PT]

I average 11 hours a week to deliver him his newsfeed.  At $.10/minute
that would work out to $320/month.

It probably costs him on the order of $30/month for the line and call
forwarding.

I would imagine that there are a fair number of other users on it as
well.

In the near future BCTel is supposed to be looking at widening the
free calling area. At that point in time this won't be too useful.

Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl
604-937-7532 (voice)    604-939-4768 (fax)

Vance Shipley <vances@xenitec.on.ca> (03/17/90)

In article <4984@accuvax.nwu.edu> MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) writes:

>Is it illegal to have two modems tied up to each other so that a person could
>call the one modem and bounce to another (3d) modem to avoid toll charges?

>I'd have a relay station that would bounce the output of one modem to the
>input of another, all signals. The advantages would be avoiding toll
>charges since it would be local to the relay station, and local from
>the relay station to the destination.

I set one of these up once.  Trying to dial into our office switch and
out again over an FX line didn't work because of degradation of the
signal, so I hooked two modems back to back and created a
"digipeater"!

In order to prevent unauthorized use I hotlined the output of the
second modem so it would automatically connect me with the site I was
interested in.  I also disabled the escape sequences on both.  The
null modem cable connecting the two must be done correctly so you
don't get hung up.

vance@xenitec.on.ca

bob@uunet.uu.net> (03/18/90)

kabra437@athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) writes:

>In article <4984@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:
>>Is it illegal to have two modems tied up to each other so that a person could
>>call the one modem and bounce to another (3d) modem to avoid toll charges?

>I doubt that this lash-up is illegal anywhere in the U.S.  It's
>probably not worth the trouble to really find out.  If you think about
>it for a few minutes, there are a couple of other (better) ways to
>accomplish the same thing.  Redialers or call diverters are available
>on the open market that will do what you want without the added cost
>of the modems.

>If the intermediate office in your example has call forwarding
>available, it will also accomplish the same thing using only one line
>instead of two.  The drawback of the above two options is that you are
>locked into a single terminating number to call.  Guess your modem
>option would allow you some flexibility.  The cost of two lines and
>two modems seems a pretty high price to pay to avoid paying the
>short-haul toll charges.

There's a better answer.  I have used a device which allows you to
reprogram the call forwarding number remotely to accomplish this same
purpose.  My home is a long distance call from my newsfeed in Orlando
(and most of the commercial online service access numbers).  My
mother's house is roughly halfway between, and is a local phone call
from either site.  I had an extra phone line installed in her attic,
billed to me at a rate of $17.02/month for unlimited local calls and
call forwarding.  Previous to this, I had a special calling plan which
allowed me to call Orlando for the discounted rate of $ 0.13/minute.
Forwarding my calls through the intermediate number saves me hundreds
of dolllars a month in LD charges.

The Remote Phone Forwarder (mfgd. by Cynex in N.J.) device is
programmed by means of the following sequence: assuming that the phone
line is already forwarded, you must first dial the intermediate site
and let it ring once or more.  Although the C.O. will, of course,
forward your call as programmed, it also rings the intermediate site
once to "remind" it that its phone has been forwarded.  This alerts
the Remote Phone Forwarder that you may wish to alter its programming.
It then goes offhook and disables call forwarding.  It waits thirty
seconds or so for you to call back and reprogram it using touchtones
and a two-digit security code.  If no call is received, or if the
reprogramming attempt fails, it redials the C.O. and reestablishes the
previously programmed call forwarding.

This process is cumbersome, and does not lend itself to frequent
programming changes.  It is also offensive if used for voice calls, as
you must ring the forwarded number again to alter its programming.  It
has, however, served very well in my data application.

I note that Mr. Townson has repeatedly poo-poohed this idea on account
of metered local phone service.  I've lived in at least eight
different service areas around the southern and midwestern U.S., and
I've never encountered metered local service.  I have seen a similar
concept offered, where you are allowed a handful of free local calls
monthly, after which you pay so much _per call,_ not per minute, for
which you pay a reduced monthly rate.  I'm not disputing the existence
of metered local service; I merely question Mr. Townson's perception
of its ubiquity.

Bob Breum		uunet!tarpit >---v--< petsd
1701 Missouri Avenue	     hoptoad >---|
Sanford, FL 32771-9722 USA    ucf-cs >---+-----------------> !peora!cmpfen!bob
+1 407 322-2002		     uiucuxc >---'

[Moderator's Note: If unmetered, local talk-as-long-as-you-like
service is available, then of course this method works well. But in
many of the larger metro areas, unmetered calling is becoming very
rare.  Even in Chicago, where very limited free local calling is
available to *residence lines*, stringing together a series of
call-forwarded lines to defeat the meter is tenuous at best. If it
works in your community, great!  PT]

tell@oscar.cs.unc.edu (Stephen Tell) (03/20/90)

In article <5292@accuvax.nwu.edu> swbatl!uiucuxc!cmpfen!bob@uunet.uu.net (Bob
Breum) writes:

>kabra437@athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) writes:
>>In article <4984@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:
>>>Is it illegal to have two modems tied up to each other so that a person
>>>could call the one modem and bounce to another (3d) modem to avoid toll
>>>charges?

 .....lots deleted....

>There's a better answer.  I have used a device which allows you to
>reprogram the call forwarding number remotely to accomplish this same
>purpose.

>The Remote Phone Forwarder (mfgd. by Cynex in N.J.) device....
>Bob Breum

(Could you pleas post/mail their address/phone number? - thanks)

I've been wondering about the feasibility of a related setup.  Here's
the situation.  I make quite a few long-distance calls while in my
office at school, and right how have to use my calling card.  The
$0.70 or so per call adds up.  My appartment is a local call from
school.

Is there a device available that would coexist with an answering
machine, and if it heard the right DTMF security sequence kick the
answering machine off the line and respond with its own prompt (a tone
or somthing).  Then I would enter the number I wanted to call and the
device would use three-way calling to place the call.  It would then sit
back and hold the line open until the call was completed, at which
time I could either hand up or send it another number.

Does such a device exist?  I haven't experimented with three-way to
see if CPC is provided when the second connection is broken so the
device would know to accept another number.  (I think it has to flash
in order to connect to me, the first connection, again).

Steve Tell					tell@wsmail.cs.unc.edu
CS Grad Student, UNC Chapel Hill.
Former chief engineer, Duke Union Community Television, Durham, NC.

macy@cwjcc.ins.cwru.edu (03/21/90)

In article <5268@accuvax.nwu.edu> >X-Telecom-Digest: Volume 10,
 Issue 179, Message 9 of 12

>In article <4984@accuvax.nwu.edu> MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) writes:

>>Is it illegal to have two modems tied up to each other so that a person could
>>call the one modem and bounce to another (3d) modem to avoid toll charges?

>I set one of these up once.  Trying to dial into our office switch and
>out again over an FX line didn't work because of degradation of the
>signal, so I hooked two modems back to back and created a
>"digipeater"!

Well, I do this routinely in several different ways:

First: Ncoast, my news feed and system I act as "fill in" sysop for,
is located in Cleveland.  I am in Medina 15 miles and an intra-lata
toll call away.  I call from home into our office system (fmsystm) in
Medina and call out on another modem, using one of our Cleveland FX's
at nite in order to access ncoast directly.  Defintiely legal.

Second: I can call our office PBX's Medina DISA line and use it to
tandem thru the PBX to the Cleveland lines, too.  We have a bit of
transmission degradation this way, but since I am supposed to know
about these things, I installed a two wire voice repeater on the DISA
line to solve this.  We also have an Akron line, and my wife uses this
all the time to call her parents in Akron.  (Saves me major bucks,
too!)

Third: We get a lot of calls from Akron.  There is an exchange (Sharon
Center) that overlaps local calling areas with Medina and Akron.  We
set up a Remote Call Forward line in Sharon Center targeting our
Medina number and use it often.  We even got the telco to set it up to
allow more that one call at a time (not often done).  Also quite
legal.  Result: we only need one FX for outbound calling to Akron, all
our incoming call from Akron come in on our local Medina trunks via
the Sharon RCF.

I see no difference between two modems strapped back to back and the
use of a PBX with DISA.

Patrick, our moderator, commented that he thought the economics of
such arrangments are marginal.  I disagree, these arrangments work
well for us, and by checking our SMDR records, we know they save us
much money.  It should be noted that all the lines involved are flat
rate local lines...measured (per minute) local lines might impact the
economics.  We have set up similar arrangments for customers with
metered Ohil Bell lines, with postive results.

Note: in telephone terminology metered and measured lines are not the
same.

   Measured: billed for usage by time.
   Metered: billed by call regardless of duration.

In Ohio Bell its $0.09/call Flat: billed at a flat rate (per month)
with no additional charge for usage.  We have all three types in Ohio,
depending on who the local telco is, and what type of line you get.
Lots of fun!

 Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG         uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
 F M Systems, Inc.      {uunet!backbone}!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
 150 Highland Drive      Voice: +1 216 723-3000 Ext 251  Fax: +1 216 723-3223
 Medina, Ohio 44256 USA   Cleveland:273-3000 Akron:239-4994 (Dial 251 at tone)
 (Please note that our system name is "fmsystm" with no "e", .NOT. "fmsystem")