[comp.dcom.telecom] Device to "Lock In" a Harrassing Call?

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (03/20/90)

In ont.general, in a discussion on harrassing phone calls (and Caller ID),
L.J.Dickey (ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu) writes:

>  The phone company can install a device that will, on command,
>  "lock in" the caller, so that, even after the caller hangs up,
>  the phones are still connected.

I recall reading about such a device myself, but it was in Reader's
Digest and more than 10 years ago.  I don't believe I've ever seen it
mentioned here on comp.dcom.telecom.  Given what I have learned here
about the wide variations between switches, I'd conjecture that the
device exists, but only for some types of switch.  Would I be right?

Mark Brader			"When you're up to your ass in alligators,
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto		 maybe you're in the wrong swamp."
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com				-- Bill Stewart

rupeb@uunet.uu.net (Bernard Rupe) (03/22/90)

In article <5388@accuvax.nwu.edu> msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:

>L.J.Dickey (ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu) writes:
>>  The phone company can install a device that will, on command,
>>  "lock in" the caller, so that, even after the caller hangs up,
>>  the phones are still connected.

>  ... I'd conjecture that the
>device exists, but only for some types of switch.  Would I be right?

A feature that performs this exact function is called Malicious Call
Hold.  It is available to 911 systems, but can also be assigned to
someone who is getting repeated "malicious" calls.  The feature, when
activated, will hold up the connection to the calling telephone line
(if it's off of the same switch) or, if not, it will hold up the
incoming trunk.  This is really the limitation of the feature -- it
cannot hold up a line from outside the Central Office.

A feature such as Customer Originated Trace (CLASS), seems overall
more useful.  Also, I don't believe any equiptment is needed on the
customer premesis.  The feature is available with the DMS-100 (NTI)
and, I think, also with the 5ESS (AT&T).

Bernie Rupe 		                      1501 W. Shure Drive
Motorola, Inc.                                Arlington Heights, IL 60004
Cellular Infrastructure Division	      708 632-2814
 ...!uunet!motcid!rupeb