[comp.dcom.telecom] White House Caller-ID

macy@cwjcc.ins.cwru.edu (03/22/90)

In article <5200@accuvax.nwu.edu>

>Jody Kravitz wrote in TELECOM Digest, Volume 10, Issue 169:

>| Jimmy Carter did a "call in show" one Saturday morning when he was in
>| the white house.  The number was a 900 number.  I had never heard of a
>| 900 number before.  I was curious then (and am now) if this was done
>| for "billing the caller", network congestion control, or caller-id.
>| Anyone care to comment ?

OK, OK, here's the story...
AT&T designated 900 as a "special services" area code in the mid-70's
All classes of CO's were to route the call the the nearest toll center
which then ticketed the call and sent it on the the Class 2's which
would then translate and forward the call.

In this case the 900 lines were used as choke exchanges thru the Class
2 and 3 offices (the end offices were not too smart back then).

The offical use was a test of "mass calling" and resulted in a
redesign of the 900 concept, both technically and marketing-wise.  The
700 and 600 area code designation came about as a result of this.

It should be noted that the local operating companies' management were
less than thrilled with this experiment, they thought it to be
disruptive.

 Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG         uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
 F M Systems, Inc.      {uunet!backbone}!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
 150 Highland Drive      Voice: +1 216 723-3000 Ext 251  Fax: +1 216 723-3223
 Medina, Ohio 44256 USA   Cleveland:273-3000 Akron:239-4994 (Dial 251 at tone)
 (Please note that our system name is "fmsystm" with no "e", .NOT. "fmsystem")

[Moderator's Note: What is the '600 area code designation'? What is it
for?  PT]