[comp.dcom.telecom] Ringing in the Presence of Off-Hook Stations

larry@uunet.uu.net> (04/06/90)

In article <5724@accuvax.nwu.edu> MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) writes:

> I agree with you that that phone could not ring because of physical
> switching in the phone, but what about other phones on the same
> extension? If you send the correct signal (70volts AC??) through the
> lines, wont all the other phones ring that were not previously
> off-hook? Or would this cause considerable damage to the origional
> phone that was off-hook?

> [Moderator's Note: How about a technical reply on this from the
> experts?  PT]

	You rang? :-)

	In general, the ringing supply from an SxS or XY connector, or
from an intraoffice or interoffice trunk in any other type of CO, will
not operate bridged ringers on a station line where one station is
off-hook.  There are three reasons for this:

1.	First and foremost, if a station is off-hook, the line is
	already marked busy and an incoming call will not be permitted,
	although in a contention situation usually called "glare" the
	next two reasons come into play.

2.	The shunt resistance of the off-hook station will *immediately*
	operate the ring-trip relay or ring current sensing circuit,
	therefore removing the ringing supply connection.

3.	The current limiting provided by the CO apparatus does not allow
	enough voltage to develop across the shunt resistance of an
	off-hook station set to operate any bridged ringers.

	However, there are two circumstances in which bridged ringers
may operate in the presence of an off-hook station:

1.	A service bureau test position provides a ringing supply under
	manual control (without any ring-trip relay) having a higher
	current-limited value than found in normal CO switching
	apparatus.  Therefore, if a craftsperson "cords" a subscriber
	line to a test position and lays on their manual ringing key,
	a bridged ringer *may* operate in the presence of an off-hook
	station, if the CO loop resistance is not too great.

2.	Some DSA and toll trunks to some CO's have a manual ringing
	extender relay located in the remote CO recording-completing
 	trunk circuit which can be operated by the DSA or toll board
	"ring forward", "ring reverse" or "re-ring" keys.  I remember
	a common recording-completing trunk circuit (SD-31180) from my
	SxS days which had a ring control relay operated by the DSA or
	toll position which connected continuous ringing supply
	directly to the subscriber line through a pretty healthy
	resistance lamp.  If any circuit could provide enough ringing
	current to operate a bridged ringer in the presence of an
	off-hook station, this one could!

In article <5813@accuvax.nwu.edu> bruner@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (John Bruner)
writes:

> I have read the explanations of why it is impossible to ring a busy
> telephone with some interest, because I remember it happening in my
> parents' house a long time ago.  We had a party line, and the other
> party had left their telephone off-hook.  My parents called Indiana
> Bell from a neighbor's telephone.  There was a very strange ring in
> the house (a set of very short rings), and when I lifted the receiver
> of one telephone, the other one continued to ring.

	Party line ringing is often implemented using various
combinations of ringing in the presence of DC bias from GROUND to one
side of the telephone line.  While a call dialed through a multi-party
connector would probably not do what you describe since the ring-trip
relay would have operated, a call manually placed through an operator
(who had no ring-trip supervision) could result in *exactly* what you
describe.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP {boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!acsu.buffalo.edu!kitty!larry
<> TEL  716/688-1231 || 716/773-1700      {utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX  716/741-9635 || 716/773-2488