[comp.dcom.telecom] Room to Room Dialing in Hotels

Jack Winslade <Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org> (04/07/90)

JSW> That chain ... made it a practice never to have a room numbered
JSW> 411, since with the PBX's they had, ... Anyone dialing DA
JSW> without dialing 9 first would therefore ring room 411, ...

PT> I've never seen any hotels which allowed room to room dialing
PT> strictly by the room number.

This was in the early 1970's.  The property consisted of one hotel
building and 8 detatched motel outbuildings for a total of just over
400 rooms.  The PBX was a 1950's vintage Ma Bell SxS switch using 3
digit dialing exclusively for extensions on the property.  The rooms
in the main hotel were numbered 1XX, as were those in the '100' motel
building.  The other motel rooms were numbered 2XX through 8XX
according to building.  There were no 9XX rooms.

PT> How do you dial rooms 911, 611, and such?

Yes, there was a room 611.  Not many guests would ever attempt to dial
repair service directly.

PT> The single digits '1' through '6' are things like room service,
PT> valet and front desk.  '8' starts off long distance calls ...

Front desk, room service, restaurant, gift shop, etc. were all unused
2XX and 3XX extensions.  Guest long distance was 9+0, and billed at a
special 'hotel rate' at that time.  Call details were printed on a
teletypewriter and added to the guests' bills.

Good Day!       JSW

  --- Ybbat (DRBBS) 8.9 v. 3.07 r.2
  * Origin: [1:285/666@fidonet] DRBBS Technical BBS, Omaha (1:285/666)

  --- Through FidoNet gateway node 1:16/390
  Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org