[comp.dcom.telecom] Sprint Pyramid Sales Plan

Jack Winslade <Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org> (04/07/90)

Last week at the Omaha Home Show, there was a booth full of middle-
aged cheerleaders waving silver FON cards like pom-poms and urging
attendees to sign up NOW for free FON cards.  (I don't know if these
were 'working' FON cards or samples.)  Since there was a traffic jam
in the aisle ahead of us, I was asked directly if I wanted to sign up.
I explained that I already had a FON card.  Then I was asked if I
would be interested in joining Network 2000 and getting some 'big
commissions' on FON card users I signed up.  I was given a Network
2000 brochure as well as a flyer inviting me to the Network 2000
'Spring Fling' at the local HoJo the next weekend.

Later when I inspected the literature, it was obvious that the 'big'
money would not come from the FON card customers I signed up, but from
residual 'overrides' from customers of OTHER marketing reps that I
sponsored ... and those they sponsored ... and those they sponsored
... up to six levels deep.  Sound familiar ??

So far I have been quite satisfied with Sprint and my FON card.  My
primary carrier is AT&T, but I got the FON card to avoid getting
ripped by hotel AOS services and COCOTs.  However (comma) I begin to
get a bit suspicious whenever these 'business opportunities' seem to
concentrate not upon selling the product at hand, but (iteratively)
recruiting others to sell the product and recruit others.  I am
surprised that Sprint would openly endorse this 'pyramid' scheme.

Good Day!        JSW

 --- Ybbat (DRBBS) 8.9 v. 3.07 r.2
 * Origin: [1:285/666@fidonet] DRBBS Technical BBS, Omaha (1:285/666)

 --- Through FidoNet gateway node 1:16/390
 Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org