[comp.dcom.telecom] Sprint Card Giveaways

carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu> (04/08/90)

In article <5807@accuvax.nwu.edu> FLINTON@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Fred E.J.
Linton) writes:

>In article <5746@accuvax.nwu.edu>, amb@cs.columbia.edu (Andrew Boardman)
>writes:

>> Several times now, in midtown New York City, agressive Sprint people
>> have been standing behind a small silver-grey desk thing in the Sprint
>> colors with lines like, "Get your phone card here!  They're free!"

>Same phenomenon at the weekly Sunday flea market in New Haven (CT).

	I was in Chicago briefly last week. While buying some
Kodachrome at the U of C bookstore, I was accosted by one of Sears'
aggressive card pushers, who evidently thought I was a U of C
undergrad.

	Having accepted a Sears card from one of these people back in
'79 or '80 when I was an undergrad at Northwestern, I was quite
familiar with Sears' campus marketing techniques.

	"Hey, buddy, d'ya have a Sears card?"

	"Yup."

	And then, as I turned up the stairs:

	"Have an AT&T card?"