[comp.dcom.telecom] PTT Phones

Robert.Savery@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org (Robert Savery) (04/08/90)

Recently, Tom Perrine wrote :

>I saw a phone once ( Bell system 2500 ) that had a push to talk switch
>in the handset.....

When I was in the Air Force, I worked in a whole building of these
things. I can't remember who made them, but as the whole system was
older than the hills, I'm sure they were Bells.

As the entire building was a restricted area, quite often we'd be
discussing classified information when the phone rang. The PTT switch
was an added precaution to ensure that the person calling in didn't
hear anything they weren't supposed to. Since the phones were on
unsecure lines, you could never tell when Ivan might've been
listening!

As I said, the phones were older than dirt. As a result the switches
were often wore out and even squeezing the handset as hard as you
could, you'd still get times when your voice would drop out. It made
for interesting conversations when the person on the other end didn't
understand about the phones.

                          BOB

   --- Ybbat (DRBBS) 8.9 v. 3.07 r.2
    * Origin: [1:285/666@fidonet] DRBBS Technical BBS, Omaha (1:285/666)

   --- Through FidoNet gateway node 1:16/390
   Robert.Savery@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org