[comp.dcom.telecom] Toll-free 800 Equivalents in Foreign Countries

wnp@relay.eu.net (wolf paul) (04/08/90)

In Telecom-Digest 10/231, Peter J. Dotzauer <pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu>
writes:

> Does anyone have a list of toll-free services for foreign countries,
> such as the 800 service in North America and the 0130 service in
> Germany?

I know that in Britain, it is 0800, and here in Austria it is 0660.

You should also note that in most countries where all local calls are
charged according to duration, the equivalent of an 800-service call
is not really toll-free, but rather charged as a local call.

Wolf N. Paul, Int. Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)
Schloss Laxenburg, Schlossplatz 1, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa.at!wnp
INTERNET: wnp%iiasa.at@uunet.uu.net     BITNET: tuvie!iiasa!wnp@awiuni01.BITNET

David E A Wilson <david@wraith.cs.uow.oz.au> (04/09/90)

iiasa!wnp@relay.eu.net (wolf paul) writes:

>You should also note that in most countries where all local calls are
>charged according to duration, the equivalent of an 800-service call
>is not really toll-free, but rather charged as a local call.

Here in Australia our toll free numbers (008) have just changed from
costing one local call fee (21c) to no charge to the calling party
(unless using a mobile phone).

In addition, a restricted range of numbers in my area now get fully
itemised IDD (international) billing at no charge. According to
Telecom, over the next few years this will be extended to all numbers
and also to STD (long distance) calls as well.

David Wilson	david@wraith.cs.uow.oz.AU