[comp.dcom.telecom] Extended 911 Coverage

paul@uunet.uu.net> (04/10/90)

In article <5826@accuvax.nwu.edu> levin@bbn.com (Joel B. Levin) writes:

>I don't expect to see a state-wide (area-code-wide, LATA-wide, they're
>all the same for me) 911 coverage for quite some time unless some
>changes are made.

> [non-uniform dialing in different exchanges...]

>Until they get together and resolve this kind of problem there won't
>be any universal 911 for all of 603 (or even the southern NH area).
>This is complicated by the fact that there are a lot of towns in NH,
>including two covered by the Nashua phone book, that have independent
>phone companies.

N.E.T. WANTS to sell N.H. a statewide, E-911 system; They would like
SOMEONE [State of N.H., probably] to set up the P.S.A.P. and relay all
calls to the proper agencies.  This is not meeting with immediate
accepance: Most municipal and county fire and police agencies have
their own dispatch facilities or are tied in with area-wide dispatch
centers (including some existing basic 911); A central PSAP would add
new costs, proceedures, delays, and another level of
hardware-software-wetware subject to Murphy's Law; The lookup
database, including UNIFORM streets and numbers [largely not existing
now] is also mentioned as a sine-qua-non.

I have wondered why a slightly lower-tech solution utilizing existing
facilities could not be a valid, interim solution:

1.  Require 9-1-1 calls to be routed to a location specified by the
municipal authority for the origin of the call; N.H. law already
specifies different billing for in-town [free local calling] and
out-of-town calls, and they can deliver 1+ calls to different LD
providers on a per-number basis, so it should be possible to deliver
911 to the proper answering point.

2.  Provide calling number I.D.; some existing 911 systems here would
be happy just to get this feature; databases could be built up as
needed, correlating existing info with Telco info.

There would be some operational and technical problems to be solved
here, but it seems to me far fewer than there would be to implement
one statewide system, all at once, at least in N.H.

Paul S. Sawyer              uunet!unh!unhtel!paul     paul@unhtel.UUCP
UNH Telecommunications        attmail!psawyer       p_sawyer@UNHH.BITNET
Durham, NH  03824-3523      VOX: 603-862-3262         FAX: 603-862-2030