[comp.dcom.telecom] Mercury in the UK: A Question

davel@relay.eu.net> (04/06/90)

In article <5997@accuvax.nwu.edu> contact!djcl@uunet.uu.net (woody) writes:

>I have heard about this Mercury service in the UK, which is something
>like a competing phone company. Originally, I believe they were into
>public telephone service (like COCOTs or something like that).

>Are they into long distance, also, in the manner that Sprint or MCI
>would be in the US? If so, how would calls be dialed through (ie. what
>is the UK equivalent of 10XXX+ or 950 service, if any?).

Mercury provide several services in the telecommunications area. Each
service has a four digit number (most of which I can't remember) but
the services are basically:

1.  A dial-up (10XXX+ like) service. Here, you get a PIN (like a bank
card PIN 10 digits) from Mercury for about nine pounds ($13) per year.
To use the service, you dial "131" from a conventional (British
Telecom) phone, wait for the tone, enter your PIN followed by the
required DN.  The advantages are mainly on costs. Mercury charge each
call on duration (at different levels for different destinations) to
1/100th second, then round up to the nearest penny. British Telecom
charge everything in "units" which cost around 5p - in other words, if
a unit for a particular distance is 60sec in length, and you make a
61sec call, you'll be charged for two units.

Also, Mercury rates are cheaper than BT in most cases (including
International and Cellular). It's actually slightly cheaper to call
0898 numbers (same as 900 numbers) via Mercury, too!

2.  A Mercury "line" service. Actually this is a digital 2Mb/sec
private microwave link into the Mercury dial network. Costs around
32000 pounds to setup I understand and gives 32 64kb/s channels. (Yes
they do come and stick a microwave dish on your roof).

3.  Mercury local service. Only available in a very small part of the
UK.  Get a phone line (and phone) from Mercury!

4.  Mercury private circuits. National and International.

5.  Mercury X.25 network. Sorry, fairly new, know nothing about it.

Disclaimer: We are a user of service (1) above, and reduce our phone call
charges by 15 to 39% :-). Other than that, no connection.

    Dave Lockwood                      These opinions are shareware.
    Technical Consultant               If you like them, send $10...
    davel@vision.UUCP                  VisionWare Ltd,
    ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!vision!davel   57 Cardigan Lane, Leeds, LS4 2LE
    +44-532-788858 X224                United Kingdom
               VISIONWARE DOS/UNIX Integration

chris@relay.eu.net> (04/06/90)

In article <5997@accuvax.nwu.edu> contact!djcl@uunet.uu.net (woody) writes:

>I have heard about this Mercury service in the UK, which is something
>like a competing phone company.

Sort of.  The Home Office has only licensed British Telecom and Mecury
Telecommunications as public telephone operators.  Mercury leases
lines from BT and resells the capacity to domestic/business users.
However, Mercury is also installing their own (fibre-optic) lines
where possible.

>Are they into long distance, also, in the manner that Sprint or MCI
>would be in the US?

Yes, they are only Long Distance carriers.  To subscribe is easy (ish
:-) You call a freephone number (0800-424194) and they charge you ten
pounds, providing you with a 10/12/13 digit PIN in return.
Unfortunately you are only able to use this PIN from the city/town in
which you live (you are only supposed to use the PIN from your one
home/business phone number).

>If so, how would calls be dialed through (ie. what
>is the UK equivalent of 10XXX+ or 950 service, if any?).

Not everyone in the UK has access to Mercury when making a call, but
if there is a Mercury node in your town/city you can make a call to
anywhere else (whether or not there is a Mercury node at the
destination).

If you do have a Mercury node nearby, you dial 131 (a free BT number),
enter your PIN followed by the STD (long distance number) and, voila,
there you are: somewhat cheaper LD calls!

Chris
VISIONWARE LTD         | UK: chris@vision.uucp     JANET: chris%vision.uucp@ukc
57 Cardigan Lane       | US: chris@vware.mn.org    OTHER: chris@vision.co.uk
LEEDS LS4 2LE          | BANGNET:  ...{backbone}!ukc!vision!chris
England                | VOICE:   +44 532 788858   FAX:   +44 532 304676
       "VisionWare:   The home of DOS/UNIX/X integration"

carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu> (04/10/90)

In article <5997@accuvax.nwu.edu> contact!djcl@uunet.uu.net (woody) writes:

>I have heard about this Mercury service in the UK, which is something
>like a competing phone company. Originally, I believe they were into
>public telephone service (like COCOTs or something like that).

>Are they into long distance, also, in the manner that Sprint or MCI
>would be in the US? If so, how would calls be dialed through (ie. what
>is the UK equivalent of 10XXX+ or 950 service, if any?).

Disclaimer: I don't live in the UK; these observations are based on a
brief visit last year.

Mercury long distance service is available to individuals on a
subscription basis, analogous to US "dial 1" service. In order to
access Mercury away from home, you have to use a special Mercury
phone. In most of London that I saw, Mercury phones were much in
evidence, though not as plentiful (of course) as BT phones.

Don't know of much if any functional difference between the Mercury
and BT card phones; about half of BT's phones these days seem to use
phone cards.

	Jeff Carroll
	carroll@atc.boeing.com