[comp.dcom.telecom] Eric{o,a}phone

Tom Ace <tom@sje.mentor.com> (04/10/90)

Larry Lippman wrote, about the design of the Ericophone:

>  ...the overall design scheme may best be described as phallic in nature.

It was a one-piece phone that would stand erect on a surface, kind of
a handset that included a enlarged flattened base.  I think it went
off-hook when you picked it up, and there was a dial on its underside.
The thing was far too ugly to deserve being described as phallic.

(BTW, I think it was spelled "Ericaphone".  I'm not certain, though.)

Of course, if you want a one-piece dial phone, you should (IMHO) have
the classic, i.e., a Western Electric model 1013 butt set, preferably
in orange.  Yes, I know, it doesn't ring very loudly.  :-)

Tom Ace
tom@sje.mentor.com

rees@dabo.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (04/11/90)

In article <6209@accuvax.nwu.edu>, tom@sje.mentor.com (Tom Ace) writes:

> It was a one-piece phone that would stand erect on a surface, kind of
> a handset that included a enlarged flattened base.

Watch old re-runs of "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." to see this phone in
action.  Mr. Waverly has one on his desk.