[comp.dcom.telecom] What Are All the x11/x00 Numbers For?

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (04/06/90)

The Watcher <watcher@darkside.com> writes:

> Any idea what these things may be intended for? Perhaps a nationwide
> cellular service is in the works ...  and what about x10 numbers?
> someone here mentioned 710.

Well, since 310 and 510 have already been designated as new California
area codes, it would seem reasonable that 710 will end up in the same
boat.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: But 710 is currently designated 'Government Special
Services' is it not?  And no one has ever written an article here
explaining exactly what those services are. I wish they would.    PT]

the Watcher <watcher@darkside.com> (04/07/90)

Presumably the question of "what are all the x11/x00 numbers for" has come
up before, and if my site could ftp (perhaps this should be "if I knew how
to ftp from my site"), I could get them from the proper archives.
of x11, I know that:

        911     Emergency
        811     Pac*Bell billing/service numbers
        611     Repair
        411     Information
        011     International

I do remember some archaic mention to the effect that 211 was once
used for something, but it escapes me now. notice that 111, 211, 311,
511 and 711 aren't used, but they haven't been assigned either as
prefixes or area codes. 511 would be an ideal replacement for the
"555-1212" used to get information in another area code (ie, 1-617-511
for eastern MA information), while 711 could be used to get the
location of the nearest convenience store (ie. 711 would get you a
recorded message telling you where the nearest 7-11 to where you were
calling from was, pause so you could hang up, then ring you through to
that 7-11 [regionally this would be circle-K or equivalent].)
Admittedly, a strange idea.  of x00:

        900     Fixed-charge dial-in "services"
        800     Toll-free
        700     Reprogrammable destination (???)

The rest of them ([0-6]00) aren't used for anything (we know about). The
last discussion I remember about 700 numbers (some years ago, someplace
other than the Digest) was to the effect that it would connect you from
anywhere in the continental US to whatever number it was last programmed to
(ie. travelling salesman/phoneco employee/etc gets to omaha, programs in the
number to his hotel room to his assigned 700 number, you call the 700 number
and get that person wherever they are).

watcher@darkside.com                            ?_tW_?

Thomas J Roberts <tjrob@ihlpl.att.com> (04/09/90)

> [Moderator's Note: But 710 is currently designated 'Government Special
> Services' is it not?  And no one has ever written an article here
> explaining exactly what those services are. I wish they would.    PT]

No one ever will.  710 WILL NOT be assigned as a geographical area code.

Tom Roberts
AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!ihlpl!tjrob

[Moderator's Note: *No one* ever will?  No one at all? Then perhaps
someday I will ... or perhaps another reader will provide some
information.  PT]

danj1@cbnewse.att.com (Dan Jacobson) (04/11/90)

watcher@darkside.com (the Watcher) writes:

> 511 would be an ideal replacement for the "555-1212" used to get
>information in another area code (ie, 1-617-511 for eastern MA information)

Why not 411: 1-617-411 ?

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM	+1-708-979-6364