[comp.dcom.telecom] Urban Legend About Eavesdropping Using Key Telephone Lamps

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (04/12/90)

In article <6195@accuvax.nwu.edu> Leichter-Jerry@CS.YALE.EDU@venus.ycc.
yale.edu writes:

> It's claimed that the reason Ma Bell was so slow to replace the little
> incandescent bulbs in multi-line phones with LED's was a security
> problem.  It seems that voices on the line modulate the power
> available to the indicators.  The reluctance of the old incandescents
> was high enough that no useful information could be gotten from
> them, but it was alleged that the LED's provided a nice clear signal
> which could be read, say, with a decent telescope and a little
> equipment, from the building across the street.

	Just when I thought I'd heard them all... :-)

	In a 1A, 1A1 or 1A2 key telephone system, which is the only
apparatus having incandescent lamps that fits your description, there
is absolutely *no* connection between any voice path and the 10 VAC
circuit which operates the lamps.  Replacing the 51-type lamp with an
LED isn't going to make any difference.

	The only device which *could* modulate lamp power is the
3-type speakerphone, where the lamp is powered from the same
unregulated, rectified DC which feeds the amplifier circuitry.
However, only gross variations on level with excessive receive gain to
the point of distortion (not likely) could cause enough supply voltage
fluctuation to be visible on the lamp.  Even under these extremely
rare circumstances, I doubt that any intelligence could be demodulated
using a photometric detector aimed at the ON lamp - even if the ON
lamp were an LED.  By the time LED's became common, the 4-type
speakerphone had already replaced its 3-type predecessor.

	Incidently, modulating lamps in a manner undetectable to the
human eye has been used as a transmission medium for eavesdropping
devices.  However, there is no factual basis or connection to the
particular urban legend which you relate.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP {boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!acsu.buffalo.edu!kitty!larry
<> TEL  716/688-1231 || 716/773-1700       {utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX  716/741-9635 || 716/773-2488        "Have you hugged your cat today?"