[net.unix-wizards] Unix-wizards vs. info-unix

ole%nta-vax@sri-unix.UUCP (10/31/83)

From:  Ole Jorgen Jacobsen <ole@nta-vax>

Greep,
	I have noticed exactly the same thing here at NTA-VAX.

<OLE>
<370>

greep%su-dsn@sri-unix.UUCP (11/06/83)

From:  Steven Tepper <greep@su-dsn>

I have noticed several times recently that we have received two copies
of a message, identical except that one copy is addressed to
"unix-wizards@brl-vgr" and the other to "info-unix@brl-vgr". (Also the time
stamps are different.)  However, both come to our unix-wizards address.  The
ones I have noticed are from uucp sites, relayed via ucb-vax.  Other mail
does seem to come to the right address (ie the one corresponding to the
"to:" field), so I think we are listed correctly in the two distribution
lists.  I checked in the SMTP log, by comparing times with the timestamps
on the messages, and verified that both copies are in fact being addressed
to our unix-wizards address, so it is not a question of our mail system
somehow mixing up the two addresses.  Furthermore, both copies claim
(in the SMTP "mail from:" command) to be from
"unix-wizards-request@BRL-VGR.ARPA", whereas mail addressed to our info-unix
address claims to be from "info-unix-request@BRL-VGR.ARPA".  Thus it
would seem that some site, possibly ucb-vax, is changing the destination
from info-unix to unix-wizards.

Is any other site having this problem?  Does anyone know what's going on?

Please note, I am not complaining about people sending a message to both
lists (if that is what is happening).  I'm trying to find why both copies
are going to unix-wizards.

The most recent message where this happened was:

    Date: 28 Oct 83 9:15:52-PDT (Fri)
    To: info-unix@brl-vgr
    From: decvax!dartvax!lorien@ucb-vax
    Subject: Invisible Login

    We have an application program to which we'd like users to be able to
    connect without having a login id.  If a user connects to a particular
    [etc.]