[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular Phone Question

weinstoc@SEI.CMU.EDU (Chuck Weinstock) (09/24/88)

If I call a number associated with a cellular phone, how does the
cellular phone operator know which phone to ring and where it is.  I
can think of two possible answers:

1. Periodically each cellular phone emits a "here I am" which is
   received by the nearest cells and recorded in a database.

2. When a call for a particular phone comes through all cells in the system
   broadcast a "where are you" and the cellular phone responds.

If anyone knows the details of the protocol used I'd appreciate
hearing from them.

Chuck Weinstock

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (10/01/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0146m03@vector.UUCP>, weinstoc@SEI.CMU.EDU (Chuck Weinstock) writes:
> If I call a number associated with a cellular phone, how does the
> cellular phone operator know which phone to ring and where it is...

When you dial a number assigned to a cellular mobile telephone, all
of the cell-sites in the mobile phone user's home region broadcast
the incoming call alert.  The mobile unit periodically scans the page
channels upon which such a message can be broadcast, and locks on
the one with the strongest signal.  Thus the mobile, while not busy,
locates itself wrt the cellular network, and decides which cell-site
to monitor for incoming calls.  When it hear's its own number in the
data-stream it receives on the page channel, it transmits an
acknowlegement on the access channel specified in the page channel's
message.

When a mobile phone user originates a call, the mobile phone
transmits a service request on this same access channel, and expects
to receive a channel-assignment in reply.

Once a call is in-progress, the mobile telephone switching office
(MTSO) decides which channel on which cell-site station will handle
the call, and directs the appropriate hand-offs.

In summary, idle cellular telephones locate themselves.  Busy
cellular telephones are located by the MTSO.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney

brian@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Brian Cuthie) (10/05/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0146m03@vector.UUCP> weinstoc@SEI.CMU.EDU (Chuck Weinstock) writes:

>If I call a number associated with a cellular phone, how does the
>cellular phone operator know which phone to ring and where it is.  I

[stuff deleted]

Your second guess was correct.  When a call comes in, if the cellular phone
in question is already involved in a conversation, then the matter is simple.
Otherwise, the entire system sends out a page for the phone. When the phone
answers, it's location is determined and it is sent a command to ring.

In most Cellular One (tm) systems, the clicking you here when you call a cell
phone, is designed to keep you on the line while the system pages the phone.
Ringback is only heard if the phone is actually located.

In typical Bell systems, ringback is given immediately.  Then if the phone
doesn't answer by the second page, you are transfered to the intercept.
Personally, I like the Cell One approach.  I would rather not hear "ringing"
unless the phone is actually ringing.

One trick I sometimes use is to set my Motorola 8000X (the best phone ever
made) into the mode where it will not answer pages.  Instead, it beeps like
a pocket pager.  Since it doesn't answer the page the caller gets transfered
to the voice-mail system.  I know I've gotten a message because the phone
beeps.  Then I can call at *my* convenience.

-brian

woerz@uunet.UU.NET (Dieter Woerz) (11/18/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0146m03@vector.UUCP> weinstoc@SEI.CMU.EDU (Chuck Weinstock) writes:

>If I call a number associated with a cellular phone, how does the
>cellular phone operator know which phone to ring and where it is.  I
>can think of two possible answers:
>
>1. Periodically each cellular phone emits a "here I am" which is
>   received by the nearest cells and recorded in a database.

Here in Germany, the cellular phones emit a "here I am" on
administartive frequency, which is associated with the Cell-sender,
they hear the best. Then the Cell-sender returns a short message on
that channel together with some data on how good the reception of the
phone is at the sender. On this channel the connect requests and the
frequency changes during a call, while talking with in one cell or
while changing cells are negociated. I think, this takes only a short
packet of binary data to be transmitted.

>2. When a call for a particular phone comes through all cells in the system
>   broadcast a "where are you" and the cellular phone responds.
>
>If anyone knows the details of the protocol used I'd appreciate
>hearing from them.
>
>Chuck Weinstock

Hope this helps

Dieter Woerz
Fraunhofer Institut fuer Arbeitswirtschaft und Organisation
Abt. 453
Holzgartenstrasse 17
D-7000 Stuttgart 1
W-Germany

BITNET: iaoobel.uucp!woerz@unido.bitnet
UUCP:   ...{uunet!unido, pyramid}!iaoobel!woerz

Al Ginbey <Al.Ginbey@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org> (04/07/90)

Yes there is a limit to the number of cellular channels available.
The specific limit and the method used in the detection and use of the
next available channel differs by city/system.  I believe the limit of
U.S. West in the Omaha area is 10 channels.  The next available
channel is marked with a tone. When no channels are available the
handset probably generates the trunk busy signal.  It will be
interesting to see what happens in the futrue as more and users come
on-lline.

  --- Ybbat (DRBBS) 8.9 v. 3.07 r.2
  * Origin: [1:285/666@fidonet] DRBBS Technical BBS, Omaha (1:285/666)

  --- Through FidoNet gateway node 1:16/390
  Al.Ginbey@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org

macy@cwjcc.ins.cwru.edu (04/13/90)

In article <6109@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>Yes there is a limit to the number of cellular channels available.
>The specific limit and the method used in the detection and use of the
>next available channel differs by city/system.  I believe the limit of
>U.S. West in the Omaha area is 10 channels.  The next available
>channel is marked with a tone. When no channels are available the
>handset probably generates the trunk busy signal.

Good grief! Does this mean US West has managed to make an IMTS system
out of a cellular system?  Telecommunications technology takes a giant
step backwards...

Seriously, this is a very basic description of IMTS (Improved Mobile
Telephone Servce), which until cellular service came online, was the
primary method of providing dial mobile service in the US.

Cellular has 832 channels, all of them of short range, available.  One
half of them are available to each of the two carriers in a market.
The actual number of conversations possible in a given cell area
depends on a great many design and propagation factors.

In the Cleveland area, the lowest capacity cell site I am aware of has
a ten simultaneous call capacity.  The largest can handle over one
hundred (achieved by using directional antennas to subdivide the
cell).  A number of schemes exist (and are being developed) to
maximize the capacity of cell sites in high density locations.  Talk
of micro-cells with 300 foot ranges (or less) is now heard.

Digital cellular telephony will be introduced in the US shortly.  This
will further increase the capacity of cell systems, often by threefold
or more.

I'll leave a detailed technical description of cellular system design
for traffic engineering to one of the experts ... I'm just an old pole
climber myself.  Yessir ... that's it ... life would be simpler if we
just went back to open wire and cans ... (does anyone here remember
"transpostion brackets" or frogs?)

> It will be interesting to see what happens in the future as more
> and users come on-line.

On an IMTS it was always interesting if too many phones were put on
the air ... and most cities only had two to six IMTS channels.

I'll start a discussion of IMTS if anyone is interested ... I spent
a few years working on these animals.

Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG         uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
F M Systems, Inc.      {uunet!backbone}!usenet.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
150 Highland Drive      Voice: +1 216 723-3000 Ext 251  Fax: +1 216 723-3223
Medina, Ohio 44256 USA   Cleveland:273-3000 Akron:239-4994 (Dial 251 at tone)
(Please note that our system name is "fmsystm" with no "e", .NOT. "fmsystem")