[net.news.group] Possible "rmgroup" proposal

tanner@ki4pv.UUCP (Tanner Andrews) (12/16/85)

It has come to my attention that "net.unix" these days contains
nothing but cross-postings from other newsgroups.  Almost everything
posted there is x-posted to net.unix-wizards; most of the rest (and
some of the net.unix-wizards) is posted to net.bugs[.*].

Thus, the group appears to contain no traffic that would merit its
retention.  The traffic has all gone elsewhere, with just a x-post
to net.unix added as a possible afterthought.

I propose that, as the group's usefulness has expired, it be removed.
--
<std dsclm, copies upon request>	   Tanner Andrews, KI4PV
uucp:					...!decvax!ucf-cs!ki4pv!tanner

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (12/19/85)

In article <7021@ki4pv.UUCP>, tanner@ki4pv.UUCP (Tanner Andrews) writes:
> It has come to my attention that "net.unix" these days contains
> nothing but cross-postings from other newsgroups.
> I propose that, as the group's usefulness has expired, it be removed.

Run the following in ~news/net/unix
ls -l | wc -l
ls -1 | grep " 1 news" | wc -l

Remembering that ls -l gives a "total" line that makes 44/91 of the
group not posted to anywhere else, nearly half.  So let's keep it.

Or was this a joke?
--

The Maxwell R. Mayhem Institute for Quandary Requiem and Maternal Sciamachy
Accept no substitutes.