[comp.dcom.telecom] Credit Card ID

scotts@uunet.uu.net (04/11/90)

In a related vein (to the problems about AT&T needing SS#), I recently
read an article that quoted the head of CitiCorp's credit security.
He said that thousands of retailers all over the country had started
asking purchasers to supply a home phone number along with credit card
purchases.  He stated that this had no purpose, because the merchant
is always payed by the card company, and that there was no need for
the merchant to call the customer.  The article went on to say that
the reason they ask is simple.  It is a great way to advertise.  If
they decide to run a phone solicitation, they don't have to go combing
through the phone book to attract customers.  They simply have to make
a list of all the numbers off their credit card receipts, and they now
have a much higher potential of attracting customers.

The CitiCorp guy said that he tells merchants that they don't need the
number, and that they should accept his work number or he'll go
elsewhere.

I asked a few of the local merchants in the Houston area why they
needed the phone number.  The most prominent answer from the sales
clerks was that they had been told to by management and they didn't
know why.  A couple of sales managers told me it was needed for
security (in case I wasn't who I said I was).  One store owner
admitted that he asked simply because that was what everyone else did.

Now I no longer give away my home phone for this purpose.  If they
ask, I politely give them my work number, without telling them what it
is.  If they were to actually need to call me about my purchase, they
would probably be able to reach me at work.  If they want to advertise
their product, I will tell them what they can do with it.  I used to
feel that the phone was a nice anonymous device that I would happily
give anyone, as opposed to my address, which I never gave out.  It
only took one month of prank calls to change my mind.  Now I gaurd my
phone number like my credit card numbers.  I only give it to people
who clearly have the need to know.  Am I paranoid?  Probably, but I
prefer "cautious".

+ Scott Shaffer @ SW Development @ Compaq Computer Corporation @ Houston, TX +

glaser@starch.enet.dec.com (Steve Glaser) (04/13/90)

>In a related vein (to the problems about AT&T needing SS#), I recently
>read an article that quoted the head of CitiCorp's credit security.
>He said that thousands of retailers all over the country had started
>asking purchasers to supply a home phone number along with credit card
>purchases.  He stated that this had no purpose, because the merchant
>is always payed by the card company, and that there was no need for
>the merchant to call the customer.

Actually, if you listen carefully, much of the time they ask for "a
phone number".  If they aren't specific about asking for "your phone
number", you can can follow their instructions to the letter and give
them any random phone number you feel like (though I think some
salespersons might notice something strange about getting a 976 or 900
number).  They may also ask for "a home phone number" instead of "your
home phone number".

I heard this from my boss who's been doing it for years.

Steve Glaser
glaser@starch.enet.dec.com

mvp@hsv3.uucp (Mike Van Pelt) (04/13/90)

In article <6295@accuvax.nwu.edu> cpqhou!scotts@uunet.uu.net writes:

>... the head of CitiCorp's credit security ... said that thousands of
>retailers all over the country had started asking purchasers to supply
>a home phone number along with credit card purchases.  He stated that
>this had no purpose ...

> ... the reason they ask is simple.  It is a great way to advertise.

I came across another reason a few weeks ago.  I went out for lunch
with several people at work, and one person paid with a credit card.
After we got back, he got a phone call telling him that he had left
his card at the restaurant.  At first he wondered how on earth they
had gotten his work number, then he remembered that that's what he had
written down when they asked for a phone number.

Almost every place that accepts credit cards asks for a phone number.
But I can't recall having gotten junk calls from any but a few big
chain stores.  Certainly not from restaurants.

Mike Van Pelt                     Windows + Icons + Mouse
Headland Technology/Video 7       + Pointer == WIMP.
 ...ames!vsi1!v7fs1!mvp

ceb@csli.stanford.edu (Charles Buckley) (04/15/90)

   From: glaser@starch.enet.dec.com (Steve Glaser)

   >He said that thousands of retailers all over the country had started
   >asking purchasers to supply a home phone number along with credit card
   >purchases.  He stated that this had no purpose, . . .

   >Actually, if you listen carefully, much of the time they ask for "a
   >phone number".

As it has been explained to me, this is a writing sample - digits are
easier to use in forgery detection than a signature, which is so
different that it lends itself to being practiced.  One writes so many
digits in one's life that it's hard to unlearn, even with practice.

What kills me is that the merchants aren't told this by the credit
card companies, so some of the more obsequious ones, in trying to make
your job of purchasing lighter, ask you for the phone number, and
write it on themselves!

In my experience from having three credit cards stolen from my PO Box
before I could collect them, the fraudulent user unashamedly writes
another number, although I couldn't get the postal investigation
organization to verify if it belonged to the thief.  Guess they
protect their own.

[Moderator's Note: Addressing only the last paragraph of your message:
Not really, they don't. The Chicago Main Post Office has had a few
scandals over the years. The postal inspectors come down very hard on
postal employees who steal from the mail. A major ripoff of Amoco
Credit Cards by postal workers in the early seventies was dealt with
very harshly. In those days, the Amoco Credit Card Processing Office
was in downtown Chicago.   PT]