[comp.dcom.telecom] Auto-collect From a Pay Phone

bapat@uunet.uu.net> (05/24/90)

In article <7989@accuvax.nwu.edu>, MCL9337@tamvenus.bitnet writes:

> In my original post, I left out the fact that the phone DID play back
> my recorded name statement.  One of the problems with the entire idea
> of the automation is that the calling party's name is all that can be
> given.

That's not a problem, it's a design restriction.

If they didn't restrict it to name only, you could always say, "Jim,
this is John. Call me back at 555-1234." Jim could then press 2 to
refuse the collect call, and dial you right back, thus avoiding paying
collect-call charges.

> Of course, one COULD say "John Doe calling for Jim Doe," I guess.

In general you could get any one-way message across for free ("Honey,
the flight came in on time, I'll call you tomorrow at 9 pm") and your
wife could then refuse the call.

Subodh Bapat         novavax!rm1!bapat@uunet.uu.net     OR      bapat@rm1.uucp
MS E-204, P.O.Box 407044, Racal-Milgo, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33340  (305) 846-6068