[comp.dcom.telecom] Switchboard Operations

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (05/25/90)

On May 24 at  7:19, TELECOM Moderator writes:

> To really see just how stupid people can be, try running a
> switchboard for a few months/years.

Not for months or years, but I have, on occasion, tended the
switchboard for a couple of my clients for the afternoon. My clients
are radio stations with good sized PBXs. What calls them can only be
described as an alternative species. At the AOR (Album Oriented Rock)
station, there are apparently subhuman types that grunt things like,
"Kenuplay grateflded?" "I'm sorry, you will have to call the "Jock
Line" [sounds like something from a fitness center, or a outlet that
sells athletic supporters] "and talk to the person on the air."
"Hayman, cnt you jst gifm da messge?" "OK, sure will." [RELEASE]

Or how about, "Lemme talk to Bob Smith [salestype]"? "I'm sorry, Bob
is out of the office. May I take a message?" "That [expletive deleted]
is never in. You tell him that he has until 4:30 PM and that's that."
[And that's that? Are they going to break his legs? Reposess his BMW?]
CLICK! Message to Bob: "Unknown caller says you have until 4:30..."

Oh, well. Sometime I'll have to tell you about the callers to the
other station whose demographics have been described as "60 to
deceased", if you can stay awake...

> Finally I put up a little sign on the board which said,
> "I am not a fast operator. Nor am I a slow operator. I am merely a
> half-fast operator."   PT]

How about, "I'm in-operative"?

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !