[comp.dcom.telecom] Telephones, Technology and Media

psrc@pegasus.att.com (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (05/25/90)

In article <8120@accuvax.nwu.edu> somebody wrote:

> In connection with the times I sat for interviews regarding the
> Internet Worm, I always offered just such a service.  Almost
> uniformly, the response was a semi-hostile glare followed by "our
> editors have a policy of not allowing our stories to be censored."

In article <8166@accuvax.nwu.edu>, jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (j. eric townsend)
suggests some nicer ways of putting this, so you won't be accused of
censorship.  (Make it an offer, and make it clear that you only want to
help them get the technology right.)

I've written a few articles for PC MAGAZINE.  This mostly bi-weekly
periodical runs under a *much* looser schedule than a daily newspaper
(thanks to Tom Neff for the description of what newspapers are like).
Reviewers were required to summarize the factual statements, and go
over them with the vendors; e-mailing the draft, or reading over the
phone, was standard practice.  There was *no* requirement to let the
vendors challenge a writer's opinions or conclusions.

It did take some time when I had to work around a PR flack.  If I had
a good technical contact (who was *allowed* to answer such questions
from the press), it only took a few minutes.

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
The above is a statement of fact about one company's practice at one
time, and possibly today.  "PC", believe it or not, is a registered
trademark of Ziff Communications Co., as is "PC Magazine".