[comp.dcom.telecom] Interstate, IntraLATA Calling

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> (05/25/90)

A call placed from Delaware to most of the 215 area (and vice versa)
is interstate and intraLATA (Philadelphia LATA).  I don't know what
the status of the carriers is there.  (I.e., can you use another car-
rier besides Diamond State/Bell of Pa.?)

Bell of Pa. & NJ Bell are authorized as carriers between Philadelphia
(Pa.)  metro and nearby New Jersey areas.  A similar setup exists
between northern New Jersey and New York City.  (I don't know about
suburbs in 914 area in New York State.)

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) (05/25/90)

In article <8235@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

>Bell of Pa. & NJ Bell are authorized as carriers between Philadelphia
>(Pa.)  metro and nearby New Jersey areas.  A similar setup exists
>between northern New Jersey and New York City.  (I don't know about
>suburbs in 914 area in New York State.)

Westchester County (area code 914) is part of the NYC LATA, which also
includes all of Long Island (516), Rockland County (across the river
from Westchester), and parts of other counties, including a bit of
Connecticut (area code 203), which is served by NYTel for historical
reasons.

On another topic currently agitating the Digest: I believe that
1-212-7D works OK within the 212 area, but haven't checked lately.  It
may depend on one's CO.

cowan@marob.masa.com			(aka ...!hombre!marob!cowan)