[comp.dcom.telecom] Distinctive Ringing Recognition

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (05/25/90)

"VAXB::DBURKE" <dburke%vaxb.decnet@nusc-npt.navy.mil> writes:

> The tone pattern is standard ring for my regular line, and two longs
> for the kiddie line.

> [Moderator's Note: Illinois Bell, among other Bell telcos, offers this
> service in a limited number of areas. Our version allows two or three
> other numbers to be camped on the main line.

This is one of the things (along with Centrex, pagers, answering
services, and other heavy DID customers) that is responsible for the
depletion of our NPAs. CLASS could eliminate much of the waste. For
instance, answering services would see which customer was forwarding
to their *one* number and answer accordingly. No DID required.

Distinctive ringing could function based on the number of the caller,
not the number called. Granted, the functionality would be slightly
different, but would be a good, efficient alternative.

For some reason (probably the availability of cheap DID), vast blocks
of numbers have been assigned for the use of what can best be
described as "signaling" services. This is exactly what distinctive
ringing is: two numbers are assigned just so the phone will ring
differently, signaling the called party what number the caller dialed.
What a waste.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: One of the Illinois Bell CLASS features does just
what you propose: It allows the callee to designate up to ten callers
whose calls will generate a different sounding ring. Unfortunatly,
there is only one 'different sound' -- up to ten numbers you designate
will have this characteristic. And of course, until they are likewise
in an office properly equipped, merely designating them on your end
does not make them behave that way.  PT]

tad@beaver.cs.washington.edu> (05/26/90)

In article <8169@accuvax.nwu.edu>, dburke%vaxb.decnet@nusc-npt.navy.
mil (VAXB::DBURKE) writes:

> 	NYNEX (or NET) has just release something called RingMate (I
> assume trademarked).  This allows me to have two different incoming
> telephone numbers, one for me and one for the kids, all tied to the
> same telephones I have now, with a distinctive ringing feature to
> allow me to recognize which number is being called.  This is a nice
> feature, except I'd like to get a black box that will switch to
> answering machine A for me and answering machine B for the kids.

> Is there such a box?

I have used a service like this for adding a fax machine to a voice
line without the annoyance of those darn "fax switches" that attempt
to switch the call after answer.

Check out the Autoline Plus, from:

ITS Communications Corp.
Endicott, NY 13760
Phone: 800-333-0802

Sorry, but I don't have a street address or non-WATS telephone number.

This box has three outputs for up to three numbers assigned to one
line.  If you tell them you are a dealer, you can get a sample for
under $100.  It works great!

Tad Cook  Seattle, WA  Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544  Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad  or, tad@ssc.UUCP

Rob Warnock <rpw3%rigden.wpd@sgi.com> (05/26/90)

In article <8238@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com>
writes:

| > The tone pattern is standard ring for my regular line, and two longs
| > for the kiddie line.
| This is one of the things (along with Centrex, pagers, answering
| services, and other heavy DID customers) that is responsible for the
| depletion of our NPAs. CLASS could eliminate much of the waste. For
| instance, answering services would see which customer was forwarding
| to their *one* number and answer accordingly. No DID required.

I'm suddenly (if whimsically) struck by the analogy to computer
networking.  What we have had up 'til now is "hot to host"
connections. Maybe (given the capabilities coming in ISDN) we need to
add "port numbers" to our NPA plan?  1/2- ;-}

So just like HostA connecting to hostB says what well-know service is
wanted at hostB by specifying a port (a.k.a. socket) number, maybe
there could be a way to append a port number ("sub-listing number"?)
to a standard number:

	"Dial 1-800-555-1212-#57 for information regarding 'love lines'"

or personalized listings in phone books:

	Doe, John E., family.....555-1212
	  John E.................555-1212#31
	  Mary Sue...............555-1212#32
	  Billy..................555-1212#33
	  Suzie..................555-1212#34
	  BBS....................555-1212#38
	  FAX....................555-1212#39

And of course, if you could provide a *source* "port" number when
placing a call (maybe with a *NN before the call?), you could
authenticate yourself or provide distinctive ringing, or whatever.
(Yes, I *know* the BSD hack of "ports < 1024" is not secure!)

Just a thought...   ;-}

Rob Warnock, MS-9U/510		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311