[comp.dcom.telecom] Joined Countries

dan@sics.se (Dan Sahlin) (05/26/90)

moscom!de@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Esan) writes:

>Does anyone know the intentions of the soon to be united Germanys in
>regard to dialling patterns to what is presently East Germany (DDR),
>and which will soon be part of a single Germany?

I do not know what decisions that have been taken, but Western Germany
has always had area codes reserved for Eastern Germany, so a
unification here would be very simple.

If the country code of Eastern Germany (37) is released, it could be
reused for the "new" Baltic states.  As we are running out of country
codes in Europe, the code could best be used for producing ten country
numbers: 370, 371, etc.

Today I read in the morning paper about plans for Estonia to use the
Swedish telecommunication satellite Tele-X.  I do hope that this will
make it possible to dial Tallin directly.  I can dial directly almost
anywhere in the world, but I can't dial directly to the Baltic states,
which are neighbors to Sweden.

	/Dan Sahlin     email: dan@sics.se