[comp.dcom.telecom] Sprint/WD40 Offer

jeffj@uunet.uu.net (Jeff Jonas) (05/24/90)

I got a FON card with the WD-40 offer.  The first bill had a $10 "FON
card non-recurring charge".  Customer service said that's because I
have a stand-alone account.  My SECOND bill ALSO had a $10 "FON card
non-recurring charge".  [non-recurring indeed!]  Customer service said
that I'd get a $20 credit on my next bill.  Let's see if my third bill
had the $20 credit and the "free hour".

carols@world.std.com (Carol Springs) (05/27/90)

Jeff Jonas writes:

>I got a FON card with the WD-40 offer.  The first bill had a $10 "FON
>card non-recurring charge".  Customer service said that's because I
>have a stand-alone account.

Now this is fascinating, because when I gave Sprint my work number, I
was never asked whether I had an account with US Sprint already.  The
name in Sprint's records for my home account is "C. Springs."  "Carol
Springs" works in a different city from the one in which C. Springs
lives.  In short, Sprint could make a good guess that I was the same
person (I may well be the only Springs in area code 617), but if
that's what it was using as its criterion for adding the surcharge it
seems a little slimy.  (Almost as slimy as my ordering the unneeded
card in the first place.)

I would think that the $10 (now $20) surcharge in my case is more
likely to have been due to my having given a business phone
number--Sprint certainly knows it's a business number, since I've been
getting the business version of its inserts on that account.  But I
think Patrick gave his work number to Sprint also and never got the
surcharge.

As I said, never again.

Carol Springs                      carols@world.std.com

[Moderator's Note: Actually, I gave Sprint the number of my voicemail
box, which is a DID trunk at Central Telephone Company. I have not yet
heard if it has been converted to Sprint one-plus yet.  :) And, no, I
did not get a one-time charge, or a two-time charge either, for that
matter.  PT]