[comp.dcom.telecom] Correction to 908 Areacode Exchange List

smk@attunix.att.com (S M Krieger) (05/26/90)

> Please add the following to your lists.

> 841	STROUDSBG  NJ

Unless the Delaware River shifted in the last three days, I thought
Stroudsburg was in PA.

Also, the following little tidbits of information appeared in a phone
bill insert:

     1.	The use of 908 will be mandatory on June 8, 1991.

     2. The 908 area code will first appear in the Monmouth
	County phone book, which will come out on June 14, 1990.

     3.	908 is functional.

     4.	We will still be able to use 7 digits for all local calls
	(which in the case of my Summit, NJ central office, means
	that calls to Millburn, Madison, and South Orange will
	remain at 7 digits).

	What I am curious about though is how many central office
	codes will this tie up in both 201 and 908?

Stan Krieger
Summit, NJ
 ...!att!attunix!smk

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> (05/29/90)

I have indeed seen 841 Stroudsburg in other lists for the
(pre-908-split) 201 area.  Yes, it's the name of a town across the
river, and this situation happens the other way around with Belvidere
(475 prefix in what will become area 908).  Just across the Delaware
River is, if I recall correctly, 215-498 also using the place name
Belvidere.  (215-area prefix list available in the Philadelphia
directory.)

Tom Lowe <tel@cdsdb1.att.com> (05/29/90)

S M Krieger <smk@attunix.att.com> writes:

>> Please add the following to your lists.

>> 841	STROUDSBG  NJ

> Unless the Delaware River shifted in the last three days, I thought
> Stroudsburg was in PA.

I thought the same thing, but what you see above is exactly what
should appears on your phone bill if you call 908-841-XXXX (or 201-841
for now) There is also a STROUDSBG PA in the list:

717-223	STROUDSBG PA		717-420	STROUDSBG PA
717-421	STROUDSBG PA		717-424	STROUDSBG PA
717-476	STROUDSBG PA		717-620	STROUDSBG PA
717-629	STROUDSBG PA

> Also, the following little tidbits of information appeared in a phone
> bill insert:

> 	 4.	We will still be able to use 7 digits for all local calls
> 	(which in the case of my Summit, NJ central office, means
> 	that calls to Millburn, Madison, and South Orange will
> 	remain at 7 digits).

> 	What I am curious about though is how many central office
> 	codes will this tie up in both 201 and 908?

I read in an article in a newspaper a couple days ago that we will
have to use area codes for all calls outside our area code, including
local, after the statewide 911 system goes into effect (sometime in
1992, if I remember correctly).  Anyone know why this is the case?

Tom Lowe
tel@cdsdb1.ATT.COM