[comp.dcom.telecom] Panel

haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu (99700000) (05/24/90)

>From: Jack Winslade <Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org>

>Another thing that I found peculiar to this particular installation
>was that an adjoining #1 crossbar office was also equipped with this
>type of revertive-pulse sending system, which made the crossbar office
>look like a panel office as far as interoffice signaling was
>concerned.

I remember when #1 ESS was new some at Bell Labs mentioned the irony
that there were ESS offices signaling revertive pulsing to crossbar
offices.  The reason was that the ESS office had replaced a panel
office and they didn't want to change all the trunks in the crossbar
office to something more modern at the same time they were cutting
over to the ESS.

>[Moderator's Note: 1965 was about the time that Morris, IL also got an
>experimental ESS office.  PT]

1965?!  Wasn't Morris the city in IL that had an earlier experimental
ESS using vacuum tube and magnetic drum technology?  Or do I have the
city wrong? Or do you have the date wrong?

Peter M. Weiss  31 Shields Bldg, University Park, PA  USA  16802

[Moderator's Note: Morris was the first, I believe, with vacuum tubes,
etc. This would have been a few years earlier. Then about the time New
Jersey got theirs, Morris also got a new system. That's the way I
remember it.  PT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (05/25/90)

Jack Winslade <Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org> writes:

> I've been fascinated with the panel switches (Ma Bell's answer to Rube
> Goldberg) ever since seeing an aging one in action back in 1971 or so.

Panel was almost universal in San Francisco and Oakland up until the
early 70's. Obviously, exchanges added in the '50s onward were
crossbar and later, ESS, but there was a substantial penetration of
these impressive machines. Having grown up in Oakland, I'll never
forget the sound of the phone.

> If I remember my facts correctly, the revertive pulse-counting method
> was necessary because the speed of the rollers driving the rods up the
> frames was not exact, and this provided the feedback necessary to
> locate the correct contacts.

That is correct, and it also accounted for the horrendous noise that
you heard, particularly between dialed digits. These rollers would
slip and slide, even with heavy maintenance. Sometimes the rods
couldn't make it to their destination, and the call would fail. This
is why the switch was so unreliable.

> Another thing that I found peculiar to this particular installation
> was that an adjoining #1 crossbar office was also equipped with this
> type of revertive-pulse sending system, which made the crossbar office
> look like a panel office as far as interoffice signaling was
> concerned.

This was a typical situation: panel offices were usually neighbored by
#1 crossbar because they could be made to speak the same language,
revertive pulsing. The down side of this was that panel was
particularly incompatible with SXS, which is one reason you would have
a lot of panel in an area (such as SF/Oakland) OR you would have a lot
of SXS (such as LA). Fortunately, the crossbar became a life saver in
that it could speak equally well to SXS or to panel and frequently
served as a translating link between these offices.

BTW, to the best of my knowledge, the Telephone Pioneers of San
Francisco have a small, fully operative, section of a panel office
somewhere in San Francisco. For a while it was located in the old
Larkin St. CO, but I believe it has moved from there. (How on earth
would anyone move such a thing?)

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

dhk@uunet.uu.net> (05/30/90)

 From article <8250@accuvax.nwu.edu>, by john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon):

> Jack Winslade <Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org> writes:

>> I've been fascinated with the panel switches (Ma Bell's answer to Rube
>> Goldberg) ever since seeing an aging one in action back in 1971 or so.

> Panel was almost universal in San Francisco and Oakland up until the
> early 70's. Obviously, exchanges added in the '50s onward were
> crossbar and later, ESS, but there was a substantial penetration of
> these impressive machines. Having grown up in Oakland, I'll never
> forget the sound of the phone.

Ah yes, panel!  In 1965 (or so) I worked in San Francisco's Market CO,
where we had the best of all worlds.  At that time there were (as I
recall) two panel offices, two #1 crossbar, and one #5 crossbar.  The
panel offices took up more than twice the time that the three others
took.  I can still recall having to poke around finding a stuck rod to
release it.  Once in a while an entire bank would drop at once.  The
crash seemed to shake the entire floor.

Don H Kemp
B B & K Associates, Inc.
Rutland, VT