[comp.dcom.telecom] Why Texas Air Uses So Much Phone Service

wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil (Will Martin) (05/29/90)

"Texas Air" is the holding company that owns not only the airline by
that name, but also New York Air, Continental, and TWA.  (Those
include the lines that were taken over by this group, and no longer
have separate identities, like Ozark.) Also, Northwest merged its
reservations system into TWA's, so all those airlines' phone usage is
merged under the "Texas Air" entry.

(Source: newspaper articles in the {St. Louis Post-Dispatch} on Carl
Icahn and what fate is in store for TWA [which has its hub here in St.
Louis and thus is of much local interest].)

Regards, Will

Jeffrey Silber <silber@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu> (05/30/90)

In article <8410@accuvax.nwu.edu> wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil (Will
Martin) writes:

>"Texas Air" is the holding company that owns not only the airline by
>that name, but also New York Air, Continental, and TWA.

Texas Air does not, to the best of my knowledge, own TWA.  They do,
however, own Eastern.  Carl Icahn led the buyout (and partly owns)
TWA.

Jeffrey A. Silber/silber@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
Business Manager/Cornell Center for Theory
 & Simulation in Science & Engineering

"John R. Levine" <johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> (05/31/90)

Martin) writes:

>"Texas Air" is the holding company that owns not only the airline by
>that name, but also New York Air, Continental, and TWA.  ...
>Also, Northwest merged its reservations system into TWA's, so all those
>airlines' phone usage is merged under the "Texas Air" entry.

Texas Air operates Eastern, Continental, and a few small regional
carriers.  Their CRS is named System One.  TWA still belongs to Carl
Icahn, and TWA's CRS, which is indeed jointly owned with Northwest, is
called PARS.  It is unlikely that Texas Air could buy TWA even if they
wanted to, they're in hock up to their eyebrows.

On the other hand, AMR, the parent company of American Airlines, owns
a CRS called Sabre, which is used by a lot more travel agents than
System One or PARS is.  UAL, parent of United Airlines jointly owns a
CRS called Apollo.  AMR is somewhat larger than Texas Air in assets,
sales, and number of employees.  UAL is larger in sales, about the
same in assets and employees.  It's hard to believe that Texas Air has
a larger telecom budget than either UAL or AMR does.

I suspect that since there is no standard way to measure the size of
an organization's telecom budget, and since most organizations are
under no obligation to tell any outsider what their telecom budgets
are, the list that started this discussion in the first place has to
be considered no more than an educated guess.

John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl