[comp.dcom.telecom] Alert: AT&T May Consider Removing TDD Long Distance Discount

"Michael C. Berch" <mcb@presto.ig.com> (05/25/90)

In the referenced article, CER2520@ritvax.bitnet (Curtis E. Reid) writes:

> I heard a disturbing news that AT&T may consider removing the TDD Long
> Distance Toll Call discounts when AT&T does its own billing.  The
> rationale for this is that no other services like MCI or Sprint offer
> this discount so why should AT&T.

> AT&T has a strong loyal base of handicapped and disabled customers.
> If something like this discount goes away, I'm sure that other
> services for handicapped customers will also go away, too.

> Can any TELECOM readers comment on this?  AT&T, don't consider
> removing TDD discounts!!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what is the justification
for discounts for TDD customers?  I can see doing it if the bandwidth
of TDD devices is so much smaller than voice that deaf people are
effectively paying more for less effective use of the same circuit for
the same amount of time as hearing people, but I have not heard that
argument brought up.  (And in which case I think there is a good
argument for the discount, or at least a special TDD rate structure.)

I don't object to AT&T's providing special services to TDD users that
cost AT&T extra but are required in order to make TDD service work
(e.g., TDD operator/trouble reporting services) but I don't see the
reason for giving a certain class of people a discount simply because
of a disability (or because of their race, religion, ethnic origin,
etc.).  Discounts for the economically disadvantaged are another case
entirely, and while I do not think that general ratepayers (or telco
shareholders) should have to subsidize "lifeline" service, telcos
offer such services because they are required to by state regulators.
I assume there is no such requirement for AT&T, MCI, Sprint, or others
providing LD service but not dial tone.

Michael C. Berch
mcb@presto.ig.com / uunet!presto.ig.com!mcb / ames!bionet!mcb

Ken Harrenstien <KLH@nic.ddn.mil> (05/26/90)

>Please don't take this the wrong way, but what is the justification
>for discounts for TDD customers?  I can see doing it if the bandwidth
>of TDD devices is so much smaller than voice that deaf people are
>effectively paying more for less effective use of the same circuit for
>the same amount of time as hearing people, but I have not heard that
>argument brought up.  (And in which case I think there is a good
>argument for the discount, or at least a special TDD rate structure.)

Indeed, this is the rationale.  The standard figure in the literature
I've seen has been a 5:1 ratio; that is, a conversation via TDD takes
five times as long as a voice call to convey the same information.
The discount, however, does NOT follow this ratio.  I'm not sure
exactly what it amounts to -- the one time I tried to get an
explanation out of a telco billing person, I was told it just meant
the lowest possible rate was applied (ie night rate) instead of the
normal rate.  The bill always simply says "DN".  So it doesn't do me
any good to schedule my calls for the evening instead of the daytime.

One other aspect of this discount, at least here in California, is
that it ONLY applies to calls made from a single line identified as
belonging to a TDD subscriber.  I cannot have two lines and have the
discount on both.  It also does NOT apply to calls I make with a
calling card, or calls I charge to that number, or even calls made to
that number.  So in my opinion it's a pretty feeble gesture.  You'd
think the simple thing to do would be to just charge everything
normally and factor the total by .50 or whatever, but no.

Oh yeah, while I'm ranting about bills, any long-distance (but
intrastate) charges I incur when using the California Relay Service
are printed as calls to "Cal Relay" (instead of, say "San Jose" or
"Sacramento"), even though they show the correct destination number.
So it is a little harder for me to figure out where I was really
calling.  As for interstate calls, the Relay service can't call out of
state -- no calls, no billing problem.  Gee, maybe we should carry
this idea to its logical extreme ... no telco, no telco hassles!

I haven't heard anything about removing the discount, but I imagine it
would be done quietly in any case.  Someone did tell me a couple days
ago about a radio report that AT&T would be introducing a nationwide
TDD relay service, but I haven't seen anything in print, so this may
only be a rumor or a misinterpretation.

Ken

ndallen@uunet.uu.net (Nigel Allen) (05/26/90)

[speculation that AT&T may eliminate the 50% discount on TDD calls]

The rationale for the discount, IMHO, is not that TDD users are
economically disadvantaged.  It's that TDD calls take longer than
corresponding voice calls, so the discount means that a TDD
conversation that transmits as much information as a voice call that
takes half as long will be changed the same amount.

Bell Canada offers a 50% discount on long distance to registered TDD
users, and as far as I know, has no plans to eliminate the discount.
Of course, it would require CRTC approval to do so.

Nigel Allen
52 Manchester Avenue        voice telephone (416) 535-8916
Toronto, Ontario M6G 1V3    fax (416) 978-7552
Canada

"Yossi (Joel" <joel%TECHUNIX.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> (05/27/90)

In article <8241@accuvax.nwu.edu> mcb@presto.ig.com (Michael C. Berch) writes:

>In the referenced article, CER2520@ritvax.bitnet (Curtis E. Reid) writes:

>> I heard a disturbing news that AT&T may consider removing the TDD Long
>> Distance Toll Call discounts when AT&T does its own billing. [...]

>> Can any TELECOM readers comment on this?  AT&T, don't consider
>> removing TDD discounts!!

>Please don't take this the wrong way, but what is the justification
>for discounts for TDD customers?  I can see doing it if the bandwidth
>of TDD devices is so much smaller than voice that deaf people are
>effectively paying more for less effective use of the same circuit for
>the same amount of time as hearing people, but I have not heard that
>argument brought up.  (And in which case I think there is a good
>argument for the discount, or at least a special TDD rate structure.)

The rational is that the same phone call should cost the same to
everyone.  For the same reason that folks with old switch equipment
aren't charged extra for the additional upkeep costs, TDD users
shouldn't be charged extra just because they have to converse at 48
baud.

Also, at least in the past, AT&T has been a service-oriented business.
They don't charge for wrong numbers, for busy signals, calls that were
never completed, etc.  They regularly absorb some operating costs to
keep their services attractive and equitable.

Joel
(joel@techunix.technion.ac.il -or- joel@techunix.BITNET)

rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu (Linc Madison) (05/28/90)

Having made one TDD-to-TDD call and several TDD-relay calls, I can
verify that even with fast typists, TDD calls have much slower
throughput than voice.  Speaking, I can about keep pace with text
rolling across my CRT at 1200 bps and can with a little effort almost
keep up with 2400 bps.  Someone quoted TDD standards as being 45 bps;
even if it's old TTY at 110 bps, it's still slow.  My roommate who
heard me on a relay call once asked,
"why...........were............you.............talking..........
 .......so..........slowly.....?"

(BTW, in case you're curious, I can type about 120 wpm, which is well
into the range of professional typists, and TDD was still painfully slow.
For a comparison, try a "talk" connection on UNIX, and then halve it.)

Linc Madison   =   rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu

karl@ddsw1.mcs.com (Karl Denninger) (05/31/90)

In article <8338@accuvax.nwu.edu> "Yossi (Joel" <joel%TECHUNIX.
BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> writes:

>>Please don't take this the wrong way, but what is the justification
>>for discounts for TDD customers?

>The rational is that the same phone call should cost the same to
>everyone.  For the same reason that folks with old switch equipment
>aren't charged extra for the additional upkeep costs, TDD users
>shouldn't be charged extra just because they have to converse at 48
>baud.

Well, by that reasoning I should pay less to use a 300 baud modem than
a 2400 baud one, or heaven forbid, a 19,200 baud one (ie: Telebit).

Of course, that is not the case.

Also of course, no one FORCES a deaf person to use a TDD to
communicate.  They can purchase a personal computer with a higher
speed modem, compose their text offline if they wish, and transmit to
other similarly equipped people.  If the additional bandwidth is an
issue, this is something these people should explore.

Note that I can easily read at 2400 baud; that is not difficult, I do
it every evening when logging in and reading the news from home.
Thus, I can effectively make use of 2400 baud transmission in >real
time<.  I am willing to bet that most deaf people can make use of at
least 1200 baud if not 2400 or more, should they be motivated to do
so.

The question becomes:

   Should a public utility be able to subsidise the use of a service by
   a disadvantaged (insert favorite of handicapped, minority, etc)
   group through the rates of those who are not as disadvantaged?

That I don't have a good answer for.  However, the issue is not
bandwidth, nor is it the information able to be transmitted per unit
of time.  It could be a matter of perceived public service, or any one
of a number of other factors.

Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.   "Quality Solutions at a Fair Price"