[comp.dcom.telecom] PacBell Dropping Charge for Touch-Tone Service

cjp%megatek.UUCP@ucsd.edu (Christopher J. Pikus) (05/30/90)

	It was only a few weeks ago we were discussing the "Cost
versus price" of Touch tone service. I believe we generally agreed
that while touch tone service cost practically nothing, the RBOCs
charged for this "premium" feature based upon perceived value (one of
them marketing terms :-)).

	Today in my phone bill was a little leaflet saying that they
will be eliminating the charge for touch tone.  The actual text is as
follows:

        "--Most residential customers have Touch-Tone Service
	and pay $1.20 per month for it. The connection charge
	is $3. Those charges will be eliminated under the CPUC
	order, and all residential customer will receive Touch-
	Tone automatically. ....."

        "... Also we are proposing that business customers re-
	ceive Touch-Tone Service as part of their basic service.
	...."

I believe the CPUC document describing this is: "CPUC Decision
D.89-10-031".

Now I'm waiting for Pac Bell to charge a premium for using the pulse
dialing "feature". :-)

Regards,

Christopher J. Pikus,               Megatek Corp.
INTERNET:     cjp@megatek.uucp      San Diego, CA
UUCP:         ...!uunet!megatek!cjp

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (05/31/90)

"Christopher J. Pikus" <cjp%megatek.UUCP@ucsd.edu> writes:

> Now I'm waiting for Pac Bell to charge a premium for using the pulse
> dialing "feature". :-)

No, they have already filed their rate increase to cover, among other
things, the loss of revenue from the elimination of touch tone
charges.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

Wally Kramer <wallyk@tekfdi.fdi.tek.com> (06/01/90)

In article <8431@accuvax.nwu.edu> cjp%megatek.UUCP@ucsd.edu
(Christopher J. Pikus) TELECOM Digest Volume 10, Issue 397, Message 8
of 12 writes:

> Today in my phone bill was a little leaflet saying that they
> will be eliminating the charge for touch tone.  ...

Perhaps the California PUC is afraid of catching the legal bug
drifting down from Oregon.  About 3 years ago our PUC ruled that then
Pacific NorthWest Bell couldn't charge extra for touch tone service.
For some reason Telephone Utilities still charged, I think, $0.55 per
month.

I, for one, was glad to get a retroactive credit for TouchTone service
which extended back for a few months (4?--too bad it wasn't for all
the touch tone service I ever paid for!).  The glee I experienced was
not one of "getting a premium feature for free" but freedom from the
tyranny of being charged for something which wasn't eligible for real
competition and obviously cost very little to provide.

wallyk@tekfdi.fdi.tek.com (Wally Kramer) 503 627 2363
Contractor from Step Technology, Inc.  503 244 1239

finn@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy Behrens) (06/02/90)

Christopher J. Pikus <cjp@megatek.UUCP> writes:

> Today in my phone bill was a little leaflet saying that they
> will be eliminating the charge for touch tone.  ...

Today I got a little leaflet too.  For its Vermont customers NYNEX is
lowering the charge for 3-way calling and call forwarding, but
*raising* the charge for touch tone!